Birch, Bunch, and Ferns

The Fern-quest train continues to roll along.

This image combines three of my favorite things about June in New England, birch trees, bunchberry flowers, and ferns. While out driving, I often notice small stands of ferns like this along the edge of the road, but I rarely find compositions which work in that situation. But my eyes lit up when I saw this trifecta within the forest interior. I also tried this scene without the trees (keeping just the flowers and ferns). But having the white of the birches to play off against the flowers seemed to add something to the scene.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome, but I am interested in discussing the following

Regarding the amount of the birch trees shown, is it too much, too little, or Goldilocks?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 24-700mm lens, at 24mm, ISO 400, 1/4 sec at f16.

2 Likes

The layers here are so perfect. Insofar as the trees go, I think the amount vertically is good, but I wonder at the one on the far right. What rhythm here though…I love the change from the bunchberry to the ferns to the birch trunks. The edge of the slope behind the trees is the perfect capper.

PS. A 24-700mm lens - wow! Now that’s range. (I know it’s typo, but hey…it gave me a laugh).

1 Like

What can I say, either I can’t type or Canon just keeps innovating :smile:

A beauty again for a larger scene comp Ed. I think the birches add to it. The juxtaposition of the flowers to the ferns works so well. The one thing that is an eye catcher for me is the dark birch to the left of the main 3 trees. So many times it seems 3 works better than 4, just a thought. Funny because I was working on a small birch scene this AM!

This is a nice composition. The bunchberries provide a great foreground. I bet they would make a great image on their own.

Ed, I can see why the 3 subjects are your favorites. They sure work well together, and you certainly put them together nicely in this image. Great composition. The shades of green work so well together. :+1: :+1:

Lovely. The amount of each looks like Goldilocks to me - the framing has a nice rhythm.

@Kris_Smith @Mario_Cornacchione @Igor_Doncov @Shirley_Freeman @Bonnie_Lampley
thank you for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

The trees at the top were actually the hardest part of composing this image. Once you got beyond the 3 birchs, the other trees were awkwardly arranged in real life. I thought this comp minimized the problem. I have a bit more room to the right of the partial tree in the URC, but I was trying to center the 3 birches for symmetry purposes. Compromises, compromises. Maybe I’ll burn down the silver tree in the ULC to lessen its impact.

Igor, I do have a number of closeup shots of just the bunchberry flowers, and yes they do make for good images (both in color and B&W).

1 Like

I so agree with you, Ed! That’s what drew me into this photo, was the matching little white flowers with the beautiful birch trees! One of my favorite trees! It’s a very peaceful looking scene and I think the cool green and white colors really make it come together.

Wonderful image Ed. I think the layers all work very well together with the greenery as the main show and the far trees adding another level of interest.

Ed,

All has been said, and I echo the White Birches taking this up a significant notch. I think the amount of Birch trunk is just right.

This is beautifully composed, Ed. I wouldn’t change anything about it. I like the three distinct layers with the flowers, fern and the trio of birch trees. The white trunks are perfectly positioned in the composition.

I also got a good laugh at the 24-700 mm lens! :wink:

Great look at this scene, Ed. I did some scroll cropping and definitely prefer it as posted, “just right”. The trees look great here. Getting really picky, I would clean up a couple little white bits on the right edge, but no other suggestions come to mind.

Wonderful scene, Ed. I agree with Harley. It is excellent as it’s presented here. No changes for me at all… :+1:

Nicely done. I particularly like the layers of plants that makes the image a bet less complex.

@Paul_Breitkreuz @Harley_Goldman @Brian_Schrayer @Alan_Kreyger @Allen_Sparks @Vanessa_Hill

thank you for your thoughts and comments, I appreciate hearing your feedback.

I couldn’t have done it without that 24-700mm lens, this thread will probably be showing up on Canon Rumors any day now “new Canon 24-700mm lens in the wild” :grin:

1 Like

Beautiful capture, Ed. Composition looks perfect to me. The DoF is excellent; I was surpried to see it wasn’t focus bracketed. You also did well not to blow out the white flowers. Bravo!

Fabulous photo Ed, as is. Also would be fabulous in a different way if there were more of the trees in the vertical dimension. I’ve been looking at a lot of Ansel Adams prints recently and am realizing how obsessed we all have become with “perimeter patrol”. The dark tree on the right partly cut off for example. His repertoire is full of photos with objects in the perimeter that would upset us all. So, in honor of the master, my vote is leave that tree.