Bunny Slope

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have a few images that I would characterize as “whimsical.” Until I can get back out with the camera again next month, I thought I’d post one or two.

Specific Feedback

When I photograph images that resonate strongly with me, I feel pretty grounded. However, I think that to grow as a photographer it’s not a bad idea to stretch out of your comfort zone. The catch though, at least for me, is that I have a harder time judging these images. To quote David St. Hubbins from one of England’s loudest bands, “It’s such a fine line between stupid and…clever.”

Any feedback appreciated!

Technical Details

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 44.0 mm
1/500 sec. at f/10 and ISO 64
Handheld; blend of two images for DOF

2 Likes

John I love the simplicity and yet wonderful balance of this shot! Great title too.

1 Like

I love this.
It’s so clean and lean. Whimsical indeed. It’s almost Seuss-ian!

Nicely composed and processed. Love it. Simple and effective. So many great lines from that movie. What a philosopher was David.

I love this minimalistic image, John! It also invokes a feeling of some trees (or people) being alone when others are together. This makes it more than just a record of a beautiful minimalistic snow landscape.

Compositionally, you could perhaps have created an even stronger diagonal between the single tree and the pair by moving a bit to the right. The foreground tree would have moved to the left and the background pair to the right. On the other hand, this might have cut off the beautifully soft shadow of the depression around the foreground tree. But this is nitpicking, and I also like the image as it is!!

1 Like

This looked like a “John Williams” snow shot from the get go. The tilted pair in the upper right are nicely whimsical. Yes, pushing the envelope is important for growth.

Wonderful image, John. As others have mentioned, I also really like the simplicity of it. Are these trees subalpine fir? That’s what they remind me of, at least. I especially like the pair in the upper right corner, as well as the sky in this image. I love that shade of gray.

I’m not enough of a tree expert to know @John_Kilgour. There are Noble Fir in the area two, and I believe it is one of those two.

Thank you @Ed_Williams , @cindy3 (And welcome; happy to have you on board!), @Michael_Lowe, @gerard, and @Mark_Seaver! I really appreciate the feedback.

1 Like