Burning Tree (with edits)

![Burning Tree]

New edit with warmer tones

Original Post with cooler tones

This image was taken in northern Utah on my fall colors trip a couple of weeks ago. This tree looked like it had been burned in a previous fire and was surrounded by everything from vibrant greens to reds and yellows making it look like the tree was still burning. I find that this tree has quite a bit of character so I’m wondering if you see or feel it too. The sun had already set so I had to raise the ISO quite a bit in order to hand hold this and still only got 1/20 of a second as it was quite dark, rendering the tree trunk on the blue side of things.

Specific Feedback Requested

Mostly I’d like to know how you feel about the processing of this image. Too dark, too light or just right. I have two other versions covering the two extremes while I felt this one was just right.
I love dead trees and this one has plenty of character to me. Does it to you?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Z7ii, ISO 500, 24-70mm lens @ 70mm, f/9, 1/20, hand held, manual exposure

5 Likes

Oh nice contrasts and form here. The panoply of colors is a treat - the bits of green set off the warmer tones very well. I do find everything a bit cool though - the reds are kind of purple and the tree is blue. Because of that (possibly) they lack a certain richness and depth as well. Fine line though as very warm images lack definition and can become muddy. I’d see if I could balance the vividness or saturation of the reds on either side of the tree. The left has a lot more weight due to the color there than the right does. The play of branches through the composition is really nice and I think you’ve included just the right amount of the burnt tree. I find dead trees interesting, too, but so hard to photograph. This does it well.

The slight redness of the frame made my brain struggle for a moment. My mind was trying to make it pure white, and I think that made the image cooler than it actually is. I think the frame matches the photo well, it’s just so common for folks to post pure white frames that it took me a minute to sort it out.

With that said I played with shifting the image itself (not the frame) slightly more red, and agree with @Kris_Smith . Given your conditions, this is likely more realistic, but viewing the photo out of context I found it more pleasing with that dash of warmth. I would say it depends on your goal; if you want the realism of your conditions I’d leave as is, but out of context you might consider slightly shifting the color.

I think the light/dark looks great, and I totally agree about the tree. If definitely has character to me, and I love the way it’s framed in beautiful fall color.

Your edit just popped up after I hit the Reply key; it looks great!

My first thought was that this was a @Lon_Overacker image. He made many such compositions in the Yosemite Valley with about the same level of color intensity. On the other hand, they were oaks rather than maples. I prefer the rework over the original except for one small difference. I liked the trunks slightly less black as in the original. Actually, the original has it’s strong points. It’s just that people like strong fall colors and have grown to expect them.

Thank you @Kris_Smith, @John_Williams, @Igor_Doncov for your comments on this one.
Kris, good suggestion on balancing the colors on both side of the tree. Yep, the trunk has gone blue and their is a purple hue to the foliage. This was shot well after the sun went down so it was quite cool to begin with but I guess I liked that cool tone as I did push it farther in post. I prefer the cooler version of the two but I totally get that I’m most likely in the minority on that. As Igor says, people have grown to expect strong fall colors and I find the warmer version slightly muddy and less crisp. I maybe went too far on the rework and perhaps something in between might be better and more to my liking.
John, I think you completely nailed it. Given your conditions, this is likely more realistic, but viewing the photo out of context I found it more pleasing with that dash of warmth. I would say it depends on your goal; if you want the realism of your conditions I’d leave as is, but out of context you might consider slightly shifting the color. Yep! Thanks for your suggestions. Oh, and I never post a pure white frame. I try to include a very slight hue that matches the mood of the image and also I tend to go more towards gray than than white as white is too bold and sometimes harsh. I hope that explains it. Good of you to catch that.

1 Like

The repost really works quite nicely, David. Well seen.

1 Like

I love this image, David! I do like the warmer version better. But aside from technicalities I just really am drawn to this whole scene. It really tells a story. It’s like all the other trees in their beautiful fall colors are supporting their friend to keep standing tall. Just because he’s dead (or maybe just partially dead) doesn’t mean he’s not still valued and needed. I’m probably getting too anthropomorphic! But I have read that even trees communicate with each other. Really nicely seen.

David,

Beautifully seen and framed image. And it must be, cause Igor said so!

BTW, thank you for the reference Igor!

I love this image. My only suggestion would be to adjust the tree trunk itself in terms of the blacks and blues… I think you edit with the blue/cyan in the tree is much improved, although personal preference might allow this to go even further. And I’m often looking for opportunities to continue using TK’s Triple Play, (hint @Tony_Kuyper ) and so I used the Darks Triple play here with some masking painting to raise the dark areas of the upper branches. They were just a little heavy-dark, IMHO.

Oh, and John mentioned the tint of the frame

And once he mentioned that and after bringing in to PS, I agree. It’s rare we ever comment on framing (I know, cause all my images are framed!), but IMHO either straight white or not at all. (Years ago I spent way to much time on matts colors, inner border color and frame color to try and compliment the image… but at some point, simple became better. ) But that’s me.

Anyway, here’s my go of it. I love this image - and Igor again has a keen eye and memory as this is exactly something I would have (loved to have) captured.

Exceptional rework, Lon. You nailed it. I am not a processing wizard and have never used luminosity masking, but one day I’d love to learn. Thanks so much for taking the time for this redo. And, I agree with Igor that this is the type of image you would/have shoot. I remember so many images you’ve posted over the years from Yosemite valley and this has an Overacker feel to it. Thanks again, Lon!
Ps. When do the colors change in Yosemite Valley? I may try and find a day that works. Thanks ahead of time.

I’m still catching up here, but have to say I think this is absolutely gorgeous, in any of the color options! I am partial to blue-ish trees in this sort of early or late light. I might have left the trunk a little blue and warmed the reds and yellows a bit, and maybe a bit more on the right to balance the left a little more. But colors aside, what I love here is how the living branches are hugging the dead tree – reaching through and around it. I think it is a remarkable and lovely composition!

I was away for a bout 2 and half weeks and became hopelessly behind so I feel ya, Diane. I also appreciate your comment on this shot. I’m glad that you like it. I’m partial to the bluer tones in the original and in my rework I should have kept some of the blue tones in the trunk but I’m really liking @Lon_Overacker’s redo. I think he nailed it. I agree about the trees surrounding this dead tree bringing some much needed life to it. I believe this tree was burnt although it was pretty dark when I took this so I’m not really sure. Thanks again, Diane.

Very nice! I like this a lot. The dark lines of the trunk and branches look very cool in that sea of the coloured leaves - excellent composition.
Oh, and I prefer the warmer version. :slight_smile: