Lone Backlit Tree in Last Summers Burn

Over the weekend I spent some time in one of the many burns around Southern BC. I intend to revisit this one, and a few others throughout the summer and fall to see the changes the seasons bring. I’m especially looking forward to the purple fireweed that grows rampant in these areas of the forest through the summer.

Any feedback on this image is welcome since I will be revisiting this area I would love to know of some things I can focus on and improve, both in the field & post.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
200mm | f4 | ISO100 | 1/200 single frame

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nik, what a wonderfully unique vision you had for this image, very creative thinking on your part. I assume this tree’s needles are brown due to to some type of insect borne disease, or other environmental issue. Many people would have passed over this type of subject as being “flawed”, but you have really used that to your advantage here. And if you can’t tell by now, I am a sucker for backlight :grinning:

If this were my image, I would consider a square crop. It would still make that strong backlit statement, but would eliminate some negative space that has little detail. IMO you don’t need this much dark background to be the foil to the tree.

2 Likes

Nick, the glowing dead tree against the dark background is outstanding. I like the hints of light in the background. I agree that a modest reduction in the negative space would be good. You have lots of room to play with the placement of the tree in a crop, centered or a bit off to either side. This is a nicely distinctive view.

Nik,

This is wonderfully unique. Kudos for stepping out of the box and recognizing the potential. One of my own personal rules/guidelines is, if you’re going to cut something off when composing, make sure it’s on purpose and obvious. (in other words, not just an oversight on the photographer’s part.) Clearly you did not want to include either the top or the bottom.

Although I think the crop works, I do like as presented. The negative space gives this a good sense of isolation. The hint of detail in the bg providing a little context. The tree is slightly off vertical. Easy enough to correct… OR not! I like the little bit of tension provided by not being perfectly straight.

Beautifully seen!

Lon

Thank you for the feedback @Ed_McGuirk @Mark_Seaver @Lon_Overacker

This was shot in burned forest, hence the charred black background and crispy orange pine tree. After reading your feedback I do agree that there is too much negative space, and I don’t know how I missed the crooked tree! Doh! Thank you for being so constructive, I look forward to revisiting this area and trying a few things differently.