Fallen + Rework

REWORK (lightened the darks of the burnt tree, dialed back dodging of background trees, reduced overall contrast):

ORIGINAL:

From the archives, 2017. This is from Lassen Park. It’s only now that I can see the processing possibilities with some of this older work. Any thoughts are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Are the colors and tones realistic? I adjusted both, although I didn’t drastically change the colors. I do want it to look “realistic”.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

a7, 35mm, f/16, 1/100s, ISO 1600, hand held, single frame.

1 Like

This is a really neat composition Bonnie, to me it’s almost like the white tree is standing guard over the fallen body of it’s dead comrade. The composition feels well balanced to me, the placement of the fallen tree is perfect. I could see burning down or cloning away the bright patch of sky in the URC, it is an eye magnet for me.

I like the high key treatment here, and the pastel greens of the grass.,it works for me. As a color image i think this works pretty well as presented. Given the graphic shapes of the two primary trees, I think this would also make an interesting B&W image. Here is a an alternate treatment in B&W, which I took a little darker to start. I especially like what B&W does to the fallen tree.

1 Like

There is so much to like about this image, Bonnie - much of what Ed has already alluded to. The juxtaposition of the muted tones of the grass and background trees with the powerful contrast of the downed log is just wonderful. The relationship between the central standing tree and the log has, as Ed points out, the feel of a vigil. I am just now reading the absolutely splendid “The Hidden Life of Trees” in which the notion arboreal relationship is explored at a profound level. But here, in this image, that sense of mourning really does come across. The diagonal of the downed log is so important to this image, as it gives it the necessary dynamism to hold my attention. The only thing I 'm less excited about is how centrally located in the frame the vertical tree is, which feels to me to undermine the living dynamism of the scene somewhat. I love the high key treatment of the image as a whole and although I am a great proponent of monochrome treatments, this one seems very well suited to colour.

What an interesting find! I like the high-key feel, it draws the attention more to the fallen and burnt tree. I do like the subtle colors that the image has. I agree on the URC that Ed mentioned.

Thank you, @Ron_Jansen, @Ed_McGuirk, and @Kerry_Gordon for your appreciation and comments.

Ed, I’m glad you and the others saw that, as that was what I was seeing, also. As far as b&w goes, I did try it that way, but really wanted the color, especially the reds in the “heart” of the fallen tree. One of the things I find interesting about this burnt area is the contrast in color of burnt black and brown trees with their remaining lighter parts.

I hear you on that, Kerry, as I had the same thought. Can’t do anything about it now, so I just went with it.

Yah, the dreaded blown out sky bits. I did tone it down, but I can see now more drastic action is required - lol.

The low key contrasting with the fallen log is stunning. You took a very creative approach to this. For me the contrast between the highly colored log and the low key surrounding takes some getting used to, but I accept that is the artistic challenge you present to the viewer. By the way, the branches in the upper left quarter really intrigue me. A small comp is available … less artistically challenging to a viewer such as me :slight_smile:

or even
Lassen_20170805_0466r3

This is really good, Bonnie. The centered tree works for me, it fits in the composition quite well and provides excellent tension between it and the downed snag. You could clean up the sky bits, but not a biggie to me. Really well seen and executed.

@Harley_Goldman, thanks!

Artistically challenging - that made me laugh out loud, @Dick_Knudson. A more sophisticated way to say “my, how…interesting…” :rofl: Your reaction is shared by most of the folks with whom I’ve shared this, so I have to think on the whole it’s not working so well. :slightly_smiling_face:

If it conveys YOUR voice that is the important thing. It is your creation. If some others find it a challenge to feel your emotions, the let us work at it a bit.

1 Like

Kept thinking about this. The rub was the dramatic contrast between the log and its high key surroundings. To reduce that contrast, In the attachment, I subdued the black of the log (Hue/Sat + lightness) and saturated the logs innards a bit.

@Dick_Knudson, hey thanks for the ideas. :+1: I had headed that way myself, and I think your rework looks a lot like the one I will post. I also dialed back the dodging I’d done on the background, but decreased the contrast overall.

I like your high key approach Bonnie and the stark contrast between the fallen tree and its companion.

1 Like

I like the composition. This is something I would probably walk by and you made a strong image out of it. I like the processing and the white border really accents the image.

1 Like