Burrowing Owl

While driving spotted this guy on the side of the road. Fortunately the road was deserted, so I was able to back up and use the car as a blind to shoot this cooperative owl.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 313 mm; 1/640, f6.3; ISO 320

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Oh Allen, I love burrowing owls. And you have captured its stare really well. The pose, the eye contact, and the environment are very pleasing. There is a halo around the bird, probably from dodging the bird to separate it from the background. I would consider lowering the amount of dodging on the bird, too because the exposure looks a little off as presented.

I too love Burrowing Owls. It’s amazing where all in the Americas they turn up. And you have captured well the stare this individual is giving you. I agree with Adhika that the bird stands out a little too much from the background.

I am enjoying the pose and eye contact. I think there are things one could do to increase separation from the BG. I don’t find the halo to be intrusive. Perhaps a vignette might help. My only wish would be a lower POV.

Nice capture of the owl in its habitat, Allen. He’s giving you quite the stare. Second the image artifacts.

Great eye contact. Perhaps a little more DOF?

Sorry I missed this one, Allen. I really like the pose. A lower angle would have helped with the background, but I doubt if this bird was quite that cooperative! I have tried getting out the passenger side of a car and shooting under it-it’s worked once or twice. Still a great shot of the owl and one that makes me jealous.

I also love these little ones. I also agree with the comments above. Regarding a lower POV it can be somewhat simulated by cropping a bit off the top of the image.