Burrowing Owl, Arizona, May 2019

All feedback welcome.

It’s not often that I’ve been able to get this close to Burrowing Owls but in this location they are fairly accustomed to human foot traffic. However, they also spend a lot of time around man-made things so I had to wait a while to get this and a little maneuvering to get separation of background.
1/1000, 7.1, ISO 800 . Canon 7D II, 100-400 @400mm handheld

1 Like

My favourite subject ! Love the mute light and looks of the Owl ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

I am so jealous, but at the same time, happy for you, Terri. I have yet to be able to point my lens at this subject. What a great shot. Such details in his feathers. And that look he gave you. Well worth the wait. At first, I thought, centered, (you know how we can get all into rules), but then the more I viewed this image, and the size and width of the owl, and the environment around him, the more this works well just as presented for the subject.

1 Like

I know where a couple of these guys live but both times I’ve attempted to shoot them they are way too far off or partially obscured by ground cover. I lust for a fine, clean shot like this. If this were my photo I would be tempted to play with the contrast some on this to see if it would “pop” the owl some. I’ll keep trying but I doubt if I’ll ever get a shot as fine as this of one!

1 Like

Thanks Shirley! Yes, I’m one of those that tends toward the “rules” but with this one looking straight on I purposefully chose the centered position. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The large image is wonderful. No nits here. Perhaps a light vignette could be an alternate approach.

1 Like

Terrific photo. Love the light. Not sure I would play with the contrast like Dave suggests. I like it as is.

1 Like

Sweet image of this owl. I really like the look it is giving you, and the low angle. I am fine with the centered composition - IMHO it goes well with the head-on look. The soft colors in the image are also pleasing to the eye.

1 Like

Oh my, that look is fantastic! I think he/she is tired of getting its picture taken! Seriously, this is a great image as is. I think the centered composition works well and at first, I thought the same as Dave regarding a little pop but when I clicked on the image to view it full size, it really looked wonderful as is.

1 Like