Butterfly in Pool

Strolling along my favorite stretch of the upper Sacramento River in northern California, I came upon this little backwater with it’s sad story.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any critique welcome. This was rather more colorful, but I chose to desaturate most of it to set the mood.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.

Amazing catch, Bonnie. The butterfly looks so well preserved, all things considered. Is that frost on the water? The leaflets? or flowers add a wonderful texture. Yes, it is a sad story, but you have created a lovely image from nature taking its course. Nicely done.

The upper Sacramento? That made me look at your portfolio.

Do I sense a strong Harvey influence in your work?

@Guy_Manning, seriously?! You know Harvey S.? Small world, for sure. I’ve learned a lot from Harvey, but I’m not sure I see his influence in my work. He’s always saying my photos just need “a touch more contrast” - ha ha. It’s a running joke now.

Next time Harvey talks about contrast, tell him that is your style.

Harvey and I went to the same art school and hung out together doing B&W Landscapes. We had lost touch over the years then ran into each other in Redding. It is funny that Harvey wants more contrast, I often thought his prints, though full of tonalities, felt a little flat. But he was always pushing for a different feeling than me.

The influence of Harvey I detect in your work is in selection, inclusion and exclusion of elements in the compositions. I don’t mean to say your work imitates his, it doesn’t. I mean he would have been, I am assuming, stressing finding design elements and emotion in an image, and observation of light.

BTW, you have a number of strong color images that would take well to B&W. Burnt Rock Art, Buttermilk Angles, Bristlecone & Dolomite and others.

1 Like

A sad scene but beautifully seen and presented. The subtle colors are wonderful and appropriate and the textures in the water are amazingly gorgeous!

Thanks, @Diane_Miller and @linda_mellor. Linda, the blue scummy stuff is natural oils on the water, not frost. No frost here at the moment!

I’m sorry to hear that, Bonnie. . . both about the scum and the lack of frost. . . .still a wonderful image.

Bonnie, I say that the colors shown here fit the scene very well. Butterflies do die, but it’s rare to find one. I usually just see wings laying on the ground. The oils on the surface are most likely natural, especially if there’s clay in the surrounding soil or nearby.

Hi Bonnie,

As butterflies age, their wings provide an historical account of interactions with other organisms or environmental conditions. The oil film on the water reminds me of celestial shots of the milky way. I like this one as presented…Jim