Aging Gracefully

I tend to view edges not as sharp delineations, but rather fluid, with give and take between the environments. Not that I don’t like a nice, contrasty edge, but I gravitate to the more ambiguous ones.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything goes. I was taken, in part, by the squiggly reflections and the drooping, wilting leaves. The water looks sort of muddy, and I tried to get some contrast into it, but don’t think I succeeded very well.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single frame, D3100, 55-300mm @ 300mm, f/16, 1/3s, ISO 200.

Bonnie, the water looks fine to me, with it’s subtle reflections and squiggles of motion. The drooping leaves and the stones behind them are interesting as well. Clearly at least two major edges here, the water/land and the seasonal edge.

Bonnie: This is really well seen IMO. I generally try to avoid putting the “horizon” on the centerline with reflections but I could see cropping a bit of the water so that the colors in the upper part of the water gain more prominence. You’ve taken a subject that most folks would not give a second glance and made a fine image. :+1: :+1:>=))>

I agree with Bill that you have created an interesting image with a subject that most people wouldn’t even see and it tells a story. I see the end of fall and the approach of winter with the drooping leaves. The rock formations has lines that mimic the drooping leaves. Maybe just a hair more contrast in the water to make the reflections stand out a little bit more and the floating leaves pop. Good eye to catch this.

Thank you, @David_Haynes, @Bill_Fach, and @Mark_Seaver for your comments. Bill, I do have other frames where I put the horizon in different positions. I wasn’t liking them so much, but your crop is appealing. Will have to revisit them.

This really is an ‘on the edge’ composition. I find the land side of the edge much more captivating than the water side. I would crop quite a bit of the water off and show off the leaves more.

1 Like