Watery Grass

REWORK (cloned out light squiggles, fixed dark spot ULC):

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from Brandy Creek this spring when flow was high. Grasses along the edge of the creek were submerged and moving with the water, making interesting textures in the ripples.

Specific Feedback

Should I lose the sun reflection streaks in the upper right? Any other comments welcome.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 12.57.22 PM
Various adjustments in ACR & PS to even out exposure and adjust color.

5 Likes

Yes. They do stand out a bit but not too much.

Hi Bonnie,

I like what youā€™ve captured, seeing the grass flowing under the surface of the water with good contrast, color and saturation seems unique, it may not be unique but it seems that way to me, most of what Iā€™ve seen was probably under water much longer than what it was in your image.

I like the narrow spaced ripples up through the central portion of the image because they add a nice look of ā€œVibrationā€ (similar to a visual of sound vibrations) :slight_smile:

I like the way itā€™s framed as well!

Yeah, I believe I would remove the sun reflection lines in the URC, they donā€™t really add anything to the image IMHO.

Nicely done, Bonnie! :slight_smile:

Hi Bonnie! I love all the colors and the patterns in this. I donā€™t think the sun streaks are necessarily distracting but like already said they donā€™t add anything to the image either. So it probably would look even better without them. Itā€™s a beautiful scene. Nicely captured!

Bonnie, fantastic patterns in your image. Your composition looks nicely balanced to me. The orange and shades of green work well. Yes I would probably clone out those sun highlights and clone out the upper left corner. There is just a small dark bit up there that catches my eye. Nice image and thanks for sharing it!

Thank you, @Igor_Doncov, @Merv, @Vanessa_Hill, and @Alfredo_Mora for your thoughts. Thereā€™s definitely a consensus on the light squiggles - out they go. Alfredo, I didnā€™t even see that ULC dark spot. :roll_eyes:

Yes - that is what I liked about this, also. I was hoping that elevated this beyond the usual.

2 Likes

That feature was the first thing that caught my eye (after the colors) :slight_smile:
Somehow the analogy of visual sound vibrations translated to the sense of motion for me, sound waves & fluid waves are connected. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Bonnie!

1 Like

Wow, Bonnie! Your rework is amazing! It really brings out the vibrations that @Merv was talking about.

Your reworking of the original really made it much better, Bonnie! Those pesky sun streaks in an image like this usually ā€˜have to goā€™, lol. It helped a lot here to remove them, and the removal of that little darker area in the ULC while not a deal breaker for me, still helped to make the image stronger in the end,. Fun presentation of the reflections of this creek! Good choice of shutter speed to capture those ripples to suggest vibrations.

Thanks, @brenda_tharp! I love sun streaks, but they do have to be more integral to the composition. These really arenā€™t.