Interstellar Water

Spent the morning with my feet in a creek. It’s the only way to go when it’s the dog days of summer. A combination of dark slate and micaceous sand eroded from the granite of Shasta Bally made for a nice color contrast (and sparkles, too!).

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a7r3, 24-105@105mm, f/16, 1/200s, ISO 640, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @bonnie_lampley

6 Likes

Fascinating image, and a creative departure from your recent comps. I see stars, comets, and the moon … all reflected in the dark waters. The repeating diagonals in the lower third are particularly interesting. I wonder if, by tilting the image counterclockwise, you could have given the impression of dark waves below a constellation of stars.

I agree with @Igor_Doncov, it’s similar yet totally different than the earlier images in your series. I like the darker vibe of this one, as Igor said it has more of “cosmic” look to it. What is going on in the lower left quadrant is simply amazing. Liquid Light indeed !!!

I like this very much as presented. But I might be tempted to also try a second, more abstract interpretation (a matter of personal choice, it is likely not your intent for this image).

Bonnie,
This is a very engaging and interesting image and I love the title as it seems perfect. Like @Igor_Doncov I too see stars, comets and the moon in the water. Great eye to spot this intimate scene. Just wondering is this actually how you saw the image or did you experiment with different SS until to got one you liked?

Bonnie; I’ve so enjoyed your series of “water abstractions.” The crystal clear water combined with the ripples and colorful rocks all add up to images that I can ( and do) seem to get lost in for what seems like hours. Thanks for posting and sharing them with us. Beautiful done.

Exquisite Bonnie. I like this better than the others in this series because of the dynamism of the diagonals. I really love the way the ripples widen from the bottom left to the upper right. A treat for the eye. Personally, I think the square format is perfect for this.

1 Like

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Ed_Lowe, @linda_mellor, and @Kerry_Gordon for your comments.

I have other frames with the “waves” more horizontal. Posted that version today.

Ed M., I do like that crop (using it for my phone background right now). For the series, though, I’m liking the square format - I want them all to be the same aspect ratio.

Ed L., I can’t see the ripples this distinctly, as they are just moving in the frame. That’s what makes this fun - you don’t know what you’ve got until after you click. It’s always a surprise.

This is a great (and artistic) abstract image, Bonnie! I like it just the way you presented it and wouldn’t change a thing. Good eye to see the opportunity and good job of capturing the details and light! :+1:

2 Likes

Fantastic image Bonnie. Love the diagonals in the square format. It does look very cosmic.

Bonnie,

Outstanding! In fact all your recent stream abstracts are fantastic. The title on this one is especially fitting.

I’m hard pressed to find anything critical or to have any suggestions. Well done! Inspires me to keep little creek beds and ripples tucked away for future opportunities.

Lon

2 Likes

Bonnie these two images are out of this world! :joy:

Sorry - I couldn’t resist! Between the two images I prefer this one due to the repeating diagonal lines formed by the ripples. The strong diagonal line across the center of the image gives my eye a place to rest while exploring the rest of the scene.

Both images are outstanding though!

1 Like

I just love these type of image.

1 Like