Psychedlic Roots #3

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I get a sense of movement in this, which appeals to me. But maybe that feeling is because I know these were moving just beneath the surface of the water. Do you get a sense of motion? I also like the light squiggles and deliberately composed this to include them as a prominent feature.

Creative direction

As with all my water abstracts, I’m going for a somewhat surreal look that makes the viewer wonder what they’re seeing.

Specific Feedback

Any comments on the aesthetics/technicalities are welcome. Generally, I’ve gone for somewhat lighter look for these, but in this case the greenish-hued water was rather unappealing. Increasing the contrast by expanding the histogram and darkening those greenish hues looked better to me.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 12.35.57 PM

Processing - contrast/color adjustment using a curve, dodging/burning to even out exposure, a darks-triple-play layer to bring out darks details.
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 12.40.30 PM

Description

With the high waters in most creeks this year, there’s lots of opportunities for finding submerged plants waving in the current. This particular kind of grass is quite nice when submerged in a relatively rapid current. So, I spend a pleasant morning standing in a creek looking at grasses (got cold feet, though!).

Definitely get a sense of movement here. It feels like everything in moving. I love all the different abstract shapes throughout the image. Keeps me looking. I especially like the white squiggly lines. What caused that? Really interesting photo.

What an interesting image! I personally love images like this - they capture the imagination quite nicely. I don’t know that I would have changed a thing. My only quibble is it feels a tad left heavy but you might find that it is more well balanced that way. YMMV! =)

Thank you @Chris_Baird and @Matt_Payne.

The squiggles are reflections of the sun on little bits of the ripples. They’re almost always blown out because they are so bright.

Hmmm, I wonder why. I don’t get that sense, but maybe it’s the more open area in the URC.

Yeah maybe that is why. I think it works fine btw!

I agree with @Matt_Payne about the slight left-heavy feel - I also felt at first that the large boomerang-shaped light squiggle could go; by cropping off a small amount of the right side it would kill my 2 subjective birds with one click, so to speak. But really, this is great, worth the cold feet (which you maybe didn’t even notice?). I bet you took many good shots, and so it was hard to decide. Definitely a great sense of motion, and overall- far out!

1 Like

Hi Bonnie, very trippy image indeed! :grin:

Love the colors and the swirling motion. Sort of like looking down a whirlpool. I played around with rotations and different crops but I think what you have presented here works quite well. Maybe just a slight counter clockwise rotation to counterbalance the feeling of weight on the left side. Nicely done!

1 Like

Bonnie,

Very cool indeed! I continue to be fascinated with the squiggles - or doodling ; many of the squiggles look like they could be stretched fonts of some foreign language - like I can almost make out words on some of them. And also, I nice treat is the splattering of the little starry specular highlights. All very cool.

I too was thinking along Alfredo’s thoughts about trying to find a rotation/orientation that flowed better - but in the end concluded as he did that your original orientation works best. Go figure. :roll_eyes: :wink:

Then also the “left heavy” balance. Personally I don’t see it was a weight or balance thing, but IMHO, there is just more interest concentrated on the left and top, where as the right and bottom have less interest, if that makes sense.

Regardless, yet another awesome, natural abstract. Amazingly seen and captured.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you, @Lon_Overacker, @Alfredo_Mora, and @Mike_Friel. There’s a definite consensus on the left-heavy feel. I will work on an edit. Thanks to all!

1 Like

Bonnie,

Maybe something as simple as this crop? But then if you interest is in the colorful and abstract forms in the LR quadrant, you probably won’t like the crop. But this is what I was thinking:

2 Likes

@Lon_Overacker that does look more balanced. Thanks!

I think that may be because the white zigzags are along the left border. How about spreading them across the frame?

I actually like Lon’s crop more than mine. Now that I’ve seen it.

1 Like