Late Summer, Brandy Creek + Rework

REWORK to address Diane’s and Alfredo’s suggestions:

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Wandering along Brandy Creek in Whiskeytown Park earlier this month, the spot at the bottom of a waterfall where it flowed into the creek looked interesting for an ICM. Sunlight on rocks under the water and a bit of vegetation made for nice color contrasts.

My husband sees a Parisian street scene!

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. I left in some errant spots of color - what do you think?

Technical Details

Processing in ACR & LR for localized exposure and color adjustments, although I did not tweak the colors very much.

1 Like

Definitely abstract, Bonnie. I love the splashes of bold color in this one. I get the impression of a reflection, but there are other elements that look more like moving water. I can see where your husband gets his impression. It has the feel of the impressionists. Nicely done.

@Bonnie_Lampley, Love this image! You and Dennis are inspiring me to get back to ICM work. It almost reminds me of a JMW Turner painting! The distribution of colors works well compositionally. The elements are intriguing — is that a person on the left? A boat on fire, bottom center; a cloud? I think that the average person viewing it would speculate as to what it represents, and, in the end, just appreciate it for the colors and mystery! :slightly_smiling_face:

An abstraction of an abstraction! Crazy and lovely!! I have no idea why, but the darker area toward the bottom left feels out of place or out of balance. Maybe amenable to some lighter brush strokes?

It is a bit reminiscent of how Vincent painted street scenes, so I see where your husband is coming from. It has a lot of energy and action, something I don’t often get from abstracts or ICM photos. I wonder if some softening could be applied to some of the sharper highlight areas to make the image a bit more cohesive. This is CLEARLY not my forte, so all “advice” given with a befuddled look. I really like the brushstroke quality of the ICM here. It feels quite deliberate, something I also don’t often get with ICM. Pretty great stuff, Bonnie.

Wonderful ICM Bonnie. Color palette really adds to the composition.

Fantastic abstract Bonnie! Yes I could see the reference to a Parisian street scene due to the colors and implied brush strokes. I see city lights, buildings, cars, and pedestrians. Awesome! I do wish the bright highlights from the water cascade were not there because I want to see more of what’s underneath.

Thank you @Kris_Smith, @Susanna_Euston, @Diane_Miller, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Dennis_Plank, and @Alfredo_Mora.

I think I see the spot you’re talking about, Diane. I cooled and brightened it a bit.

I darkened that quite a bit and also did some dehaze to bring out more detail. It was so bright in the original, it felt like there wasn’t much “underneath” to see. I went back and worked it some more, though, and it was possible to bring out more detail.

Rework posted.

Rework looks good Bonnie. Thank you.

One other idea: if you have several shots of this scene, it may be possible to “blend” in just that section under that section of water.

No problem if you want to leave it as is. I can imagine it as steam from the city streets or perhaps from a bakery. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice rework! I like the more detail in the white area toward the left. I was thinking of the dark area below it, on the left edge. It is pulling my eye away from the main image. I was thinking of maybe lightening it.