Brandy Creek in winter. Whiskeytown Park, northern California

Specs: a7, 24-70mm @ 24mm, ISO 50, f/22, 1.5s

Critique: Any technical or artistic critique is appreciated. I don’t have any particular questions, but I always like getting other opinions.

Brandy Creek was one of my favorite places just to sit and experience the creek. Since the fires this summer, though, I’m afraid this spot no longer looks like this. I’ve heard reports that the pools are becoming filled with sediment from runoff from denuded hills. The park is still closed, so I don’t know. Anyway, this is my homage to Brandy Creek.

Wonderful POV and the SS choice works beautifully, Bonnie. You folks have been hammered with the wildfires this year. Hopefully the damage to the park has not been to extensive. My only suggestion would be to tone down the tops of the rocks from the middle on up, particularly the one with the dead vegetation. I can see why you enjoy this area.

Hi Bonnie! This looks like a very peaceful spot, and a great place to spend a few hours just being. I like the comp and long exposure. Based on what I’m seeing on my monitor, my suggestion would be the opposite of Ed’s. I would lighted the near foreground to balance the light on the rocks and moss in the center of the image.

Nicely dome Bonnie! I hope the area recovers well. We have been hit hard with fires the last 3 years in the PNW as well, and many favorite spots are gone or significantly damaged. I’m not fond of the new normal on the Pacific coast.

What a great visit to old stomping grounds, Bonnie! I did my graduate research in the general vicinity long ago (LONG, long ago! :smile:) and can verify that you nicely captured the “feel” of winter on those streams. I can almost hear the creek and smell the winter vegetation.

You’ve used a telling feature of the region as your focal point near the middle- The elephant ear or Indian rhubarb ( Darmera peltata today, but Peltaphyllum peltatum back in my day) is a dominant summer presence in shaded creeks and important to the stream ecology. Nice to see it again, especially in winter dormancy. Even without the intimate knowledge of the details, the image holds together very well.

Bonnie, this is a very peaceful view of this creek. It’s a big loss to have this creek filled with silt after a big fire. One of the local creeks in MT, Mill Creek, suffered a similar fate in 2007. It’s no longer silt filled, but I don’t know about the return of fish and insect life. The fallen leaves in the center are a good addition. Thanks to Hank for the ID. My suggestion is to try a modest increase in mid-tone contrast. I think that would give the green moss a little extra pop.

Thanks, @Ed_Lowe. I’d actually brightened up the rock above the plant, then couldn’t decide whether to leave them that way or not. Thanks for your input.

Thanks, @Steve_Kennedy. I’ll fiddle around with your idea (and Ed’s). And yes, the new normal is not good.

@Hank_Pennington, thanks. I love the Indian rhubarb - it is very prolific along this stretch of the creek.

@Mark_Seaver, thanks for the input. I worry about having too much green “pop”, as I don’t want it to be too prominent. I’ll try it, though!