Cold Springs Creek in Winter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was shot along the trail to Tamanawas Falls on the NE slope of Mt. Hood. Our goal was the falls, but I was drawn to this tranquil scene along the hike.

Specific Feedback

In hindsight I wish I had made images with a little more of the creek in the frame. But my friend was pressing ahead and I was in a bit of a hurry.

Technical Details

0.3 secs, f/11, ISO 64. Nikon D850, Nikkor 24-70mm @29mm. Processed in ACR and PS. Mostly a tiny bit of toning and some selective brightening and darkening with layer masks and curves.

Oh wow how I long for winter like this. Love the icy snowy intensity. The atmosphere is palpable. My first impression is that I want more of the stream, too. While the company of other humans is great most of the time, it takes a really special person to put up with a photographer. So I hike and kayak alone 99% of the time. Still, it’s an arresting shot.

Thank you Kristen for your comment! My friend is a photographer too, but I do a lot of my shooting alone as well.

Well now I’m sad that both of you missed what looked to be a great opportunity to explore further. Oh well, at least you were out having a good time.