Driftless Springs Winter Morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was photographed on a very cold winter morning in southwest Wisconsin. I think the temps were around -24. It was so cold my car battery died shortly after taking this image. This area is known as the Driftless Area since it is the only location that avoided the glacial drift of the last ice age. It’s full of winding roads, hills and valleys, and some the best trout streams in the United States. It’s truly a hidden gem. I feel this image encapsulates what winter can be like in this region. The soft warm glow of the rising sun on a cold winter day provides a sense of relief from the bitter cold temps. The winding stream guides you through the scene, leading you to an hill off in the distance.

Specific Feedback

Just hoping to get some insight and see how others feel about this image.

Technical Details

Nikon D850

Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2

ISO 64
F11
1/50 second

@24mm

2 Likes

I like the image very much. The composition is great with the s curve of the stream and the glow in the water is pretty. Sky might be a tad hot, but not a deal breaker. Great shot. :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Thanks! Thats the one spot I have issues with. Wasn’t sure if I should darken the sun down. There was a bit of atmospheric haze which definitely helped to soften the sun while also helping to create an even glow. I might try cooling it and toning it down a touch

I thought there might be a little haze involved. Difficult scene to capture with the dynamic range.

Jason,
The light is magical in this scene and I love the combination of warm and cool colors as well as that meandering stream as it flows off into the BG. I could see taking down the sky just as touch as my brother @Michael_Lowe already mentioned. That is being picky, but I think that would elevate an already superb image another notch. Nicely done!

@Jason_Ray_Photography, very nice composition and colors. I agree that the sky needs to be a little less bright, as it overpowers the rest of the image.