In a Rush

My favorite creek in better days - Brandy Creek at Whiskeytown Park in northern California. After last year’s fire, it’s not the same. :cry: I’m still in mourning.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I have photographed this creek at various shutter speeds, and gravitate towards 0.5s as a good speed to show dynamic flow, without going all the way to silky smooth. Any comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

My main artistic decision in processing was to accentuated both the warm tones of the rocks and the cool tones of the water, to make the diagonal lines of the composition more prominent. Any comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D3100, 55-300mm @ 125mm, 0.5s, f/16, ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bonnie, I believe that you succeeded in your artistic vision with the warms and the blues. This is beautiful. Perfect shutter speed. Great WC image.

1 Like

Excellent, Bonnie. The lighting and processing does a very good job of separating the golden tones from the blues adding some very neat geometry to the image.

1 Like

This is a wonderful abstract image, Bonnie. Very good eye to capture this kind of movement. I think I would like the water to be a little smoother but I am not sure if that would reduce that glossy effect on the water. I think this is a very good take on the theme!

1 Like

Bonnie, like many others here at NPN, I thoroughly enjoy rushing water abstracts and this is a fine example. The colors in the lower right angling across the frame and the flow into the top part are very attractive. The upper part looks good also as it shows the strong motion. I especially like the subtle rainbow arching out of the central hole. Your processing looks very good.

1 Like

Beautiful, Bonnie. Very impressionist. I would be tempted to bring down the midtones a bit but otherwise looks really good to my eye.

1 Like

Very creative look at flowing water. The abstract nature of this image is wonderful.

1 Like

This subtle colors here are just wonderful, very natural looking. And the lines coming out of the LRC and down into the little wave create a great sense of movement.

1 Like

Mission accomplished, Bonnie! The golden rocks form a strong diagonal and contrast nicely with the colder water below and above the rocks. I think the shutter speed was a good choice also as it clearly demonstrates the movement of the water yet maintains some of the roughness of the turbulence. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you to all that commented! And thanks, @Mark_Seaver, for the editor’s pick!