Two Seconds in a Back Eddy

Took a brief visit to my favorite creek, Brandy Creek at Whiskeytown Park. It’s still off limits except for a small area where the picnic tables are located, because of the danger of falling, burnt trees. It’s possible to find a tiny bit of magic in the small scenes, though.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome, either technical or aesthetic.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a7r3, 100-400@207mm, f/22, 2s, ISO 100, on a tripod for a change.

1 Like

Bonnie, the collection of swirls has me grinning. B&W emphasizes the swirls very well. This is an excellent job of seeing the small and local. Are the stationary bits floating?

Bonnie: What I like most about this is that only the camera can see this and produce an image that we can see for real instead of simply imagined. Really nice conversion and a fine finished product. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Mark, yes, the stationary bits are larger pieces of floating scum, and the swirls are smaller bits of scum moving around. This was a really tiny area - not even six inches across.

Love this image, Bonnie. The combination of swirls and stationary makes for a great comp. The b&w presentation makes it look like a night sky.

1 Like

Wow, I couldn’t think of a superlative that would describe this image. Very very well seen, very well captured, very well processed. I think this is my favorite photo of yours.

1 Like

This is really cool, Bonnie. I never occurred to me to think what a really slow exposure would do with eddies. It’s amazing how clearly the currents show with this technique. It’s also an interesting and lovely image from an artistic viewpoint.

1 Like

Thank you, @Mark_Seaver, @Bill_Fach, @Igor_Doncov, @Adhika_Lie, and @Dennis_Plank for your appreciation. I got the idea for this from the photos of leaves swirling in pools - figured it would work with anything moving on a water surface.