Confluence #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another ICM from the confluence of local creeks. The light was very flat as the day was totally overcast (what I call a one-shade-of-gray day).

Specific Feedback

Is the movement in this adequately impressionistic or just annoying? It’s difficult to get just right amount of movement to make a scene impressionistic vs. things looking just OOF.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 12.16.38 PM

Local dodging/burning to even out exposure; subsequent saturation/hue adjustments.

The large image looks good, Bonnie. That’s a problem with this kind of thing: the larger/closer it is, the more impressionistic it is. On a phone it would probably look sharp. There’s a slightly darker patch in the middle of the bottom edge that you might want to remove.

Bonnie, initial impressions are that it needs just a bit more movement to achieve that impressionistic quality as your other images have. Sounds like a difficult balancing act with too much movement making things too out of focus. The image could be rotated slightly clockwise to level it out.

Without seeing similars it’s hard to say you got the ideal balance, but it certainly looks good to me! I love what’s going on with the water at the bottom, and the vegetation is very nicely suggested. It’s sort of where ICM meets pictorialism.

Keep at it!! A very nice technique I’d love to see more of!

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Diane_Miller and @Alfredo_Mora.

Yes, I thought that might be the case. My husband agrees with you, too.