Confluence #3

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The confluence of Indian Creek and Trinity River in Trinity County, northern California. It was a delightfully misty day, with clouds in the mountains.

Specific Feedback

Looking for general impressions (so to speak). Is the amount of blur and movement enjoyable or annoying?

Technical Details

Single frame ICM, hand held. Basic exposure adjustments to even out shadows and light, local color adjustments.

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 10.10.03 AM

I think you set yourself a tough one to do an ICM of this scene, Bonnie. Parts of it work really well for me, like the water and the mass of grass/trees on the left and far hillside. However when it gets to the edges if feels odd and the branches on the right just don’t feel right either-more like a double exposure.

Hi Bonnie, I agree with Dennis. I find the right side in the branches distracting as well as the bright top. I like the amount of blur in the trees on the left so I would try a crop including that. The grasses also look nice.

I find the image a bit flat but that does seem to fit the conditions. If you are open to it, I would increase the contrast and vibrance a bit.

An alternative composition below

I like the repost a lot better, Bonnie. To my eye, the small twigs or grasses along the bottom don’t add anything to the composition and I think you could remove them very easily.

Thank you, @Dennis_Plank and @Alfredo_Mora.

I recognized that those thin branches were quite texturally different than the rest of the frame. I’m coming to the conclusion that trying to include these kinds of thinner branches doesn’t always work.

The contrast/vibrance could be increased even more - it’s already much higher than the original file. Seemed like I increased it a lot and I didn’t want to overdo it, but I take your point, Alfredo. Your crop works, also.

Back to the drawing board…

@Dennis_Plank and @Alfredo_Mora, what do you think of this one? I’m thinking the expression of the movement is more similar across the frame and the right-hand trees aren’t so double-exposurey. This isn’t fully processed - just looking for your opinion whether it generally works better.

In general, I’m liking this the best so far, Bonnie. The bright white curves in the upper right could use some toning down I think.

1 Like

Good morning Bonnie. I love the energy and depth in this latest version. The expression of movement is indeed more uniform across the frame. One thing that stands to me is the large rectangle created by the water in the lower third of the frame. Do you happen to have another composition where the water has a more organic shape to it (ie winding back into the distance)? Just something to consider when framing up the next one.

1 Like

I love the soft appearance of the trees in this last one. Interesting variation on the usual movements. I wonder about cropping out the right 1/5 or so to remove the most prominent squiggles and the rather featureless bank?

Thanks again, @Dennis_Plank and @Alfredo_Mora, and @Diane_Miller

I realize this one isn’t the greatest. I was just looking for thoughts on the general appearance/movement. I’m not going to spend any more time on it - no sense polishing the you-know-what, ha.

The last version is my favorite. I think it’s fine as is.

1 Like

I’m not clear on what you were after in this image. I find the blurred rocks in the bottom left to be interesting. There seems to be a potential image there.

@Igor_Doncov, just experimenting with ICM, trying to get an aesthetically acceptable result.

1 Like