Butterfly in the woods- Updated

I was on a hiking trail above the creek in the mountains looking for birds and saw this butterfly flying around and took a rest on this log. This was cropped and I needed to remove some grass strands that was a distraction in the photo.

Specific Feedback Requested

How is the lighting she was in the sunlight.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon D90 Canon 100-400 ii with the 1.4 extender. no flash HH

1 Like

This is beautiful, Dean! I love how the butterfly is lit up by the sun and the log makes for a really nice background. Some of the best photos can be the ones we weren’t looking for, they just come to us! Great capture!

This is a beautiful photo of a beautiful lep, Dean. Yeah, looks like you were battling some bright light, but you handled it very well. Nicely done.

This is one beautiful butterfly. Not familiar with the type. I love that you captured him on a log. You managed the bright light pretty good. The composition works well for me.

Hi Dean,

This is a very nice bugscape. Comp and focus are fine as presented. Lighting and colors on the butterfly are awesome…Jim

Lovely focus on the butterfly, and a wonderful perch! The BG is a bit intrusive, for me – I wonder about toning down the greens or some blurring? Some cropping from the top could eliminate some of it.

Dean: Really good find and a terrific capture. I would also crop some of the URC but I like the perch and the detail on it and the color and details of the butterfly are wonderful. Really well done. >=))>

Thanks everyone. I did a small crop in the URC and also used something in LRC to tone it done as well in the URC

1 Like

The crop looks great, Dean. The light here is wonderful and the pose and setting pretty fantastic. One in a million. According to my book this is probably a California Sister (Adelpha bredowii group). Superb capture!