Canada Gosling - Repost

Canada Goose Nap Time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at a Southern California garden a couple weeks back. This little goose family had no fears in the world with momma watching over them.

Specific Feedback

I cloned out an OOF sibling in the first image and toned down the bright highlights and the greens in the BG lillies on the second image to try to get some separation from the goose and goslings.

Technical Details

1. Canon 7DMii, f8, 1/1250 sec, iso 400, -0.7EV, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm.
  2. f13, 1/400 sec, iso 400, -1 EV, 147 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Ducklings and goslings are always winners, Ed. They have a huge cuteness factor. I’m particularly fond of the first one of the lone gosling with the low angle through the grass. The second is a nice family shot but that one shaded gosling is something that detracts from the potential of the image in my opinion.

I particularly like the first image with the intimate, low angle look. Too cute.

Hi Ed, love the first image of the gosling at eye level and seeing the fuzziness so well. Too cute. I like the BG too but there seems to be a post processing artifact on the middle right (simply a straight line across the BG - easy to fix). Well taken image.

Wow! Thank you @Dennis_Plank, @Allen_Brooks and @Allen_Sparks. Allen S. I completely missed that line going across the right side. Thanks, Dennis. I made a clumsy attempt to clone out the “darkling” under mom. . . I see your point about it taking away from the overall impact of the second image.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

The first one is the best and this little guy is quite fuzzy. Once you take care of the artifact, it will make a nice print…Jim

Thank you @Jim_Zablotny. The artifact should be cleared now.