Canon PIXMA Pro-100

Does anyone have experience with this printer? I am looking for a relatively inexpensive printer to print greeting cards and occasional prints for friends. I had an Epson 3880, but the inks ran out from doing cleaning cycles, as I rarely print. It was going to be $500 for a new set and it was not work it.

The Canon is at B&H for $370 and then Canon is offering a $250 rebate. Cheap after the rebate.

If you have one, how are the blacks on matte paper? Any thoughts in general on the printer?

Thanks

Hi Harley:

I have the Pixma Pro 9000ii which was the immediate predecessor of the Pro-100. They’ve actually upgraded the ink set. I’ve never used it for strictly matte paper-I usually use a pearl luster which is kind of a compromise and I like it a lot for that. Ink runs about $140 for a full set direct from Canon (which is cheaper than any of the office supply places, surprisingly). I’m not sure about the ink cost for the Pro-100, but it should be in the same ballpark. The print quality is sufficient that I usually have some winners in our local print competitions.

I’m not sure what activities you have in your area, but whenever there’s a photography exposition or meeting with vendors in our area, you can get the Pro-100 for $100 after rebates. Still for less than a set of ink!

I use mine two or three times a year and don’t have any issues with ink drying out, though it seems like every time I fire it up I need to replace one or another ink cartridge, so you should plan on having enough lead time to order more.

I just got mine a month ago so may be able to learn more in this thread than I can teach
Have done about 20 prints about 10 different images (trial and error causing the rest)

Previously I had a crappy printer and would use a lab even for small prints

Print quality is great!
Getting the color right if even possible if tough
I now have acceptable color but only by increasing exposure, cooling the temp and lowering the magenta most of the time
Usually a vibrance boost and contrast boost as well
Have not tried the matte paper
Have printed glossy, semi-gloss and luster all Canon paper
Am using icc profiles and a calibrated monitor but doesn’t seem to matter , my monitor has always matched the professional labs I print with
The tweaking needed does vary per paper type ; glossy required the least adjustment
Mostly 8.5 x 11, couple of 4 x 6 and last night I printed a borderless 13 x 19 which was fun and looks amazing and did not even need a test print

I have not figured out how to print borderless from photo shop on my Mac and that might not be possible
Using the Canon print plug in for borderless

Ink I know will be expensive but plan on using only Canon official ink

The size of the printer itself is quite large, setup was easy
Hopefully something useful above

Thanks Matt and Dennis.

Any experience using this with B&W?

I have the Pro - 10 and love mine. It can be hard to find new ink cartridges locally, but I’m sure that’ll be the case with most since you’re talking about high end products. I’ve done black and white, and color. Love the results and their matte paper is very nice IMO. It is painless to order more ink through the Canon website and they get it to you pretty quickly.

Hi,
It may be too late but I have a PIXMA MX922. I bought my first one 3/2013 and a second 7/2018 because print head went out. When I called Canon about a replacement I talked so much about how I liked the PIXMA MX922 she told me even though the printer was discontinued they still had a few on the shelf and I got it for a discount.

What I like about the printer besides the great images it can produce on paper up to 8.5x11 it also prints on printable CDs, receives and sends faxes, has an upper tray for dedicated 4x6, lower tray for 8.5x11, an Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), can be wireless and wired simultaneously (I print to it wirelessly from my phone and laptop and wired from desktop, has a USB port for direct printing for USB, can link to Google Print and other print services via specialized mobile apps, has screen to view images from USB. It uses 4 inks CMYK plus a PGBK cartridge for enhanced black and greyscale printing. If you like the features and if there are any left you can get it for around $100. My understanding is that the replacement doesn’t have ADF and of course cost more.

Good luck and best regards,
GEGJr
P.S. For all 5 inks it’s about $80-$85 depending where you buy. I generally use Canon, Best Buy cause they’re local, or Amazon if I’m in a hurry and I have Prime. You can also get each of the CMYK cartridges in a XL and XXL version.

Thanks, George. I appreciate the info

I’ve had the Pro-100 for a about 6 months and really like the performance in B&W. It was really good out of the box and after a few small adjustments I think it is unbelievable for how inexpensive it is. I used to send my B&W out to a lab but get better results with the Pro-100.