Canon R5, first impressions

@JRajput , Hi Jagdeep. I am wondering if you have had any lock ups with your R5? Thanks

1 Like

Hi David!
I just did one shoot for five days and had one lock up, but that was with old firmware. I’ve updated the latest firmware and going for the shoot this week, let’s see.

I’m going to do some test shooting out my studio door right now – with a note pad beside me. If anyone has a lockup, make notes as to all the settings, particularly the AF method.

I have a feeling this is some combination of things.

@David_Leroy, do you have a specific contact at Canon where I could contribute any observations?

customer_support@canada.canon.com should get you there. The fellow I communicated with was Mike. If you need more info just let me know. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

I thought I could replicate the problem but failed. Went back to the same settings as when the issue happened, didn’t format the card or make other changes than to reset the focus mode to that when it happened – and after hundreds of test shots no lockups for 2 days. The thing I couldn’t replicate is a 5-year-old who never learned to walk – she just started running and hasn’t quit. I’ll have to borrow her again and keep watching it…

Well, I thought it would be easy to replicate, but everything has worked for 3 days, despite my attempts to recreate a failure. My current hypothesis: this failure only occurs when you are in the midst of a very good opportunity that can’t be repeated.

1 Like

Hi David !
After getting the latest firmware 1.2 I had no issues at all, the camera operated like a breeze of fresh air.

That is pretty funny Diane and probably true!
Thanks Jagdeep for the reply. Again good news and lets keep hoping that the Canon light keeps shining on you!!
I have not had any issues since switching back to my CFexpress card from the SD card. Maybe for my camera that was the issue.

Thanks for the investigation @Diane_Miller. I have yet to have a lockup with the same camera/lens set up shooting Manual & AV but I continually change focus modes and tracking priority as I go from humanoids and things that don’t have faces or don’t move very much. I will keep an eye out though when using 100-500 in the 3rd focus dot thing from the left.

I haven’t had another lockup since my post of March 1, although I’ve been too busy for intense shooting. But I have just become aware that several (all?) Sony mirrorless bodies have had what may be a similar issue. Canon just came out with a new firmware update, and as soon as I can get past the logjam on their site I’ll download it and hope it may solve the problem.

Hi Diane !

You may download the latest firmware here.

Thanks @JRajput! I haven’t installed it yet and then I saw that 1.3.0 for the R6 has been pulled and replaced with 1.3.1. Think I’ll wait a few more days…

I’ve just finished viewing a review of the R5 by Glenn Bartley a professional nature/bird photographer. He loves the camera, but mentioned some negatives. The only one that seemed an issue was that he says the colors don’t look good in LR or Adobe Camera Raw-that Canon and Adobe aren’t playing nice with each other. Has this been your experience @Diane_Miller , @David_Leroy , @JRajput . Thanks for your thoughts.

I’ve been hearing this issue with Adobe and the R5 for a while now in regard to the noise, and Glenn’s review sort of confirms that. It may also explain why I was seeing some annoying noise at “lower” ISOs (1000) in some of my early shots with the R5.

I hate having to touch DPP, but at this point I may have to open it up just to confirm whether Glenn’s findings are related to the concerns I’ve been having regarding noise. Thus far, I’ve mainly been shooting in winter environments with that and the R6, so I still don’t feel like I have a lot to go on, but this may provide some important clues.

1 Like

Thanks, Max. Glenn did say he took images with higher ISOs into DPP.

Before reading Glenn’s review, I forced myself to open DPP and did a few quick checks. I found an ISO 8000 image and brought it into PS as 2 layers, from both DPP and LR, with no adjustments. Both had the same very bad noise and the DPP conversion had horrible color noise. (I assume there is a slider in DPP to correct it, but LR does it automatically.) There are some color differences but they are minor, to me. The LR conversion went into Topaz DeNoise and came out looking remarkably good, with some subtle sharpening as well, which I could have turned off if I wished.

A Western Bluebird in full sun at ISO 800 with a very OOF BG had very slightly less noise in DPP. Oddly, the blues were less strong in DPP but the rusty breast feathers were over-saturated in DPP and much more realistic (to my taste) in LR. The belly was in shade and LR let me bring out detail. The previous versions of DPP were horrible for tonal corrections (pulling detail out of lights and darks). This one looks like it has a more advanced interface but I’m not up to speed on it.

The color differences are correctable, as far as I need, and the noise differences are not a problem with Topaz DeNoise. The seamless workflow of LR with PS, and its digital assent management capabilities, make it a hands-down choice for me.

Now I’ll check his review and see if I change my mind.

EDIT: I’ve viewed it, and don’t find objections to the colors displayed in LR/ACR. Noise: Is DPP doing some sort of NR, or actually interpreting the file better? With Topaz DeNoise (and probably other good NR software), noise itself (i.e. on a plain BG) is not a big issue, but the problem is the effect noise has on fine detail, such as feather detail for a bird that is small in the frame. Is DPP is actually pulling out detail that Adobe can’t, or just putting on a time-saving band-aid? I have plenty of frames like that and I’ll play with DPP further, but I’m skeptical it will perform better than LR/PS + Topaz Denoise and Sharpen.

1 Like

Hi Allen !
Must admit that I’m not familiar with DPP and normally use Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. I gave the pictures my normal routine worflow, the way I used to do with the images of 5D mark 4, didn’t find any significant difference.
Sharing here an image, I happened to take with Canon R 5; 500mm; 2X; 1.4X; cropped sensor 1.6X; ISO 10000; 1/1250 sec. at F 11.
Desert Cats at 2240 mm.

Neat image, Jagdeep, the way the cats blend in so well with their environment.

Hi Allen, I also watched Glenn’s video and comments on the R5. Very positive with the exception of the file conversion issues as you mentioned. Jan Wegener, another excellent bird photographer, provides a couple very good YouTube videos on the R5. They are from last summer. He is also very positive about the camera. He mentions the Adobe conversion issue wrt to colors. I think he said he had a preset work around for LR.
I have only noticed odd colors in heavily shadowed areas. Not a problem for me. I just use LR and PS and Adobe AI NR. I am not trying to sell anything so…

I have had a few minor lockups in the past few weeks. I don’t know what causes them. They could be the card. They could be some setting as mentioned by Dianne. And I don’t think all R5’s have the issue. I might be wrong about that but not everybody is complaining.

1 Like

I haven’t had another lockup like we have talked about but did have a strange thing the other day. I turned to a friend to show her a shot I had just done on the back screen. Then I put the camera up to my eye to shoot again and half-pressed the shutter, and the shot I had just displayed was still in the viewfinder. Several full shutter presses and it stayed there. So I turned off the camera. And it stayed there!!! Removing the battery got rid of it and things returned to normal.

Also had a card glitch. The Express card was still by the computer when another quick opp presented itself so I shot it on the SD card. After I took the SD card out of the reader (it self-ejects when done) the camera didn’t recognize it. I had to format it with Disk Utility, then put it back in the camera and could format there – all has been fine since.

Some questionable circuitry?? It’s only the second card glitch I’ve ever had since going digital about 2004.