Canyon Glow

From my Utah trip a few weeks ago. This was from inside Capitol Reef National Park in a small canyon off the main road. Not sure I could even find this one again. What initially drew me to this was vertical striations and then I started seeing other patterns in the rock.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm Z lens, 70mm, 1/400 sec @ F/8, ISO 125

6 Likes

This looks really good to my eye, David. Again, I saw these same walls when I was there and passed up compositions such as this one. The detail in the image is superb. One thing I probably would have done is bring out more read in this image. And it likely would have been a mistake. I’ve been shooting my walls with more red but I have to say that I like this the way you decided to do it.

Excellent job of composing this photo and capturing the detail. Color and contrast are just right to my eye.

David, this looks rather different to me. A bit like an ancient handwriting. Well done !

A beautiful abstract David, and I love the way you made use of the shadows to create texture here. I also like your use of repetition of shapes and lines, both in the shadows and the vertical striations. Nice job of seeing to extract this abstract scene, its a great image :+1: :+1:

I think this works extremely well as presented. In addition, if you wanted to try to make more of a play on the vertical striations, it might be interesting to convert this to B&W. You could then play with the red and yellow sliders to tease the striations out a bit more. For illustration, a rework example in B&W.

@Igor_Doncov , @Ben_van_der_Sande , @GregVaughn , @Ed_McGuirk …Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Igor, I agree with you on wanting to go more red on these varnished walls but I chose a more minimalist type of processing for this image. My biggest concern was the vertical lines bending inward and maybe wanting to straighten them but I decided to just go with what the wall gave me.
Ben, this is a little like ancient writing. The walls in this area are pretty amazing in the right light.
Thanks Greg for you comment. I appreciate that.
Ed, I really like this in B&W and I did not see the potential. There is lots of contrast and I wouldn’t have thought that looking at the color version but seeing this rendering makes me want to play with this idea. Thank you.

This is beautiful.
Love the abstract here and those stripes of vertical colors.

I can spot (imagine, really) a lot of different figures there, including some women profile…

Thanks for the comment Joao. I too saw the woman’s profile but didn’t want to say anything about it since most people don’t see what I see in these abstracts. Thanks again!

Your image is a great illustration of why B&W lets you successfully push contrast so much harder than you can get away with in color. The moment I saw those striations, I thought B&W. My B&W rework was quick and dirty, but I think this image is well worth spending some time on in B&W.