Spiritual Light

A friend and I were hiking a Utah canyon and got treated to some of the most incredible light bouncing from one wall onto this one. I hope some feeling of it comes across in the image.

D850, 70-200mm

The texture on this one is exquisite. And yeah the bounced light, gosh. My only suggestion is to shift the cyan towards blue just a little bit.

Very nice! I like the color contrast and having vertical lines on the glowing wall juxtaposed with horizontal lines at the bottom are nice.

Are you looking for critique on anything in particular? One thing I might suggest is dodging the very slightly darker part of the glowing wall on the right so that the entire wall is approximately the same brightness.

I like this one even more than your recent canyon image with the white rock Harley. The tonal separation and minimalist comp work well fo me here.

It’s alive! What gorgeous light.

While this is a fine image in its own right, it just doesn’t resonate as much with me as your “White Rock” image. Perhaps its not fair to compare the two, but it’s hard for me not to. The light and colors are very nice in this image, but I just feel like White Rock had a more interesting composition. In Spiritual Light the foreground feels a bit cluttered, and makes it harder for me to “get to” the great light and color above. In White Rock, the composition just felt simpler and cleaner.

Harley, the difference between the glowing wall and the foreground ridge is nicely dramatic. The textures throughout are outstanding. I agree about dodging the wall on the right and also wonder how a modest reduction of blue in the shadows would work. (Blue shadows is a routine issue because the light is actually blue but our brains turn that into white.)

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions so far. Thanks @Nathan_Klein, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Adhika_Lie, @Brent_Clark and @Ed_McGuirk. @Mark_Seaver, I actually took pains to boost the blues in the shadows, as I liked the contrast between the warm and cool tones. Once again… :smiley:

Harley,

Awesome light! Maybe it’s not obvious it’s reflected, bounced light - but it’s really irrelevant as the end result is gorgeous!

I like and applaud your recent discovery and embrace of blue! Yeah, I’ve been in that “tone down the blue” camp for years and of course it continues to be image independent… but the warm/cool color balance you’ve achieved here is wonderful. Glad to see you exploring this.

My only suggestion - and it relates to the blues… would be to tone down/back off the very specific spot on the face of the larger boulder on the right. It’s a slight eye magnet for me. Quite picky, but thought I would mention.

btw, the larger view really brings home the notion of reflected light - in a big way. This view really comes alive - as has been said already!

Lon

I missed this one… Probably my favorite of the images you posted from this trip. A wonderful study of light and shadow, color contrast and textures. Processing looks good to me - I think the blue tones work beautifully against the warm reflected sandstone. Only minor suggestion is to tone down that one blue patch on the large boulder pointed out by Lon.