Boulders + Repost

I got some interesting mixed bounce light in a back canyon in southern Utah.

D850, 70-200mm

Revised:

Original:

2 Likes

Of all of your canyon wall series, this one is by far my favorite. The patterns in the cliff look like an apocalyptic sky above an altar of stone. I see clouds and light rays in the cliff patterns. The image looks very crisp (in a good way) and that enhances a three dimensional feeling. I also love the 45 degree tilt of the left rock on the “altar”. My only suggest would be a slight burning to the highlights LLC and LRC to accentuate the boulders.

I agree with @Ed_McGuirk. This is your best so far. At first I thought that the fg rocks were so strong that it made no sense to devote so much space to the canyon wall. But when I cropped some of the wall off I realized that the wall does play an important role and that more dominant rocks doesn’t mean a stronger image. I like how the blue/grey works off the red. I also like that you didn’t left the frame bottom cut through the large hole below the rocks. Leaving space below that hole was a good decision. Might as well post my crop attempt:

Lovely. I had the same reaction as Ed M. - the rocks feel like they are on an altar. I like his idea of decreasing brightness in the lower corners, maybe even the URC, to “spotlight” the rocks.

Wonderful image here, Harley. The size and bit of variety in the rock or boulder collection is a somewhat unique scene. I really like it. Once again no mistake in the southwestern colors. The reflective canyon wall lighting is perfect illumination.
I can really buy in on Igor’s crop. It really works well from my POV.
Very nice overall image !

Another sweet image from your southwest trip Harley. One of if not your best yet. I like the original post for all of the reasons that @Ed_McGuirk mentioned above. The colors are just right in the wall and I love the grayish rock on the “altar” and I’d be even tempted to add a little bit of blue cast to it. It contrasts so well with the bright orange rock next to it and Orange and Blue are complementary colors so, what the heck. OK. Maybe not. :slight_smile:

Harley,
This is a really powerful image! I prefer your version as posted. For me the towering wall above the rocks is needed to provide the soaring backdrop to the scene. No nits from me.
I am really enjoying this one!

I like Igors crop, I would lighten or darken eight the BG or the FG for a bit more separation.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk, @Igor_Doncov, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @David_Haynes, @Alan_Kreyger and @Dan_Kearl for your comments and suggestions. I reposted a new version with subtle changes, slight vignetting along the bottom and corners, more blue in the boulders and a bit of darkening of the background. As always, great to get the NPN feedback.

2 Likes

Great shot, Harley, but I actually prefer @Igor_Doncov’s crop. I feel the URC is a little bright in the original.

Harley, this is another fine job of seeing and extracting a great image from an amazing landscape. While the revisions are subtle, they are a nice improvement, especially the dodging of the rock pile and the edge burning at the bottom. I like how the layers in the wall at the back sweep upward (left to right) and then join that big dark curve. This is a beauty.