Rocks + Repost

A vignette of the badlands during blue hour.

I didn’t notice it when shooting this but when processing this image, I am somewhat bothered by that patch of dense rocks towards the bottom of the frame. Perhaps it is because I was hoping for the big rocks to be the visual anchors in the image and that patch is a break in that. I try to minimize its visual weight by lightening it a little and I think I am somewhat okay with it now. I am curious as to what you think about it.

As always all comments and feedbacks are most welcome. Thank you in advance!

Nikon D750, 100mm, f/16, 1.6 sec, a focus stack of two exposures

Revision with the rock at the LRC removed:

@adhikalie

1 Like

I like this. A very nice understated image. I would clone out the rock in the LRC as I find it pulls me out of the image. The reverse S works really well to lead me through. Very nicely done.

Adhika, this is an excellent follow the frozen water path to the BG scene. I have no issue at all with rock grouping you mention here in the FG. The only change for me was the same one Harley has pointed out in the LRHC. Otherwise, good to go for me… :sunglasses:

Good eye for seeing this composition. The arrangement of rocks on a flat surface is great and the flow of water just makes it better. I agree about the ‘peeking’ rock. I would perhaps extend the frame to the right a bit to give that rock some room. I like the subtle light here giving off those faint shadows. .

@Harley_Goldman, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Igor_Doncov many thanks!

I added a revision without the rock on the LRC. I get a tunnel vision with the patch of rock and didn’t look at the corner. :sweat_smile: Much better now, thanks!

You are right. I think it would work if there is a little more room for that rock in the corner to breathe and I wish I have more room on the right. But alas… maybe next time! It feels that I would never run out of compositions in a place like this.

MUCH better. It actually added another dimension I did not feel in the original. It now has a nice clean exit flow into that LRHC… :+1:

1 Like

Revision is looking good!

1 Like

What a cool little scene. The rework does it for me. Well seen.

Beautifully seen and composed with the exception of that LRC rock . I love the rework. Is that salt on the ground? Such a prefect s curve leading the viewer through the image. The patch of dense rocks does not bother me at all. The two little rocks right along the right edge in the upper third of the image could probably be removed. Terrific scene.

@Bonnie_Lampley and @David_Haynes thanks! Much appreciated.

David, no those are not salt, just dried up thin layer of mud/clay mixture; walking on it feels a little funny actually.

Wonderful composition and colors! I do like the second version best. The denser cluster of rocks doesn’t bother me, rather it provides a sort of anchor of a slightly different area. Not exactly a focal point, but something similar.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. I am glad that cluster of rocks does not bother anyone. This is clearly one of my favorites from this year.

Your revision minus the rock in the LRC works best for me. Nice flow overall.