Tumbled Boulders + Repost

This is one of those scenes I find very easy to walk right past without noticing, but quite enjoy when I delve into and contemplate it a bit. I am curious if it does anything for you.

Southern Utah

D810, 70-200mm

With vignette as suggested below.

1 Like

Really nice isolation, Harley. Beautiful warm tones to complement the array of shapes and textures. My first reaction is to burn the brightness down in the boulders to direct the eye more toward the tree top. I would probably also add some vignetting to further focus attention. Otherwise this is a winner!

Nice !!!. I love all the colors, textures and tones in the image. If I had to be pick, I would echo @Dave_Dillemuth’s suggestions.
:vulcan_salute:

Those foreground boulders are just wonderful, what a find. This is a case where I like that you cut them off, i think it adds to the abstract theme here. I agree with @Dave_Dillemuth that adding a strong vignette would help. This brings back some fond memories of a couple autumn trips to Zion that I did.

Thanks to @Dave_Dillemuth, @Michael_Lowe and @Ed_McGuirk for “hammering home” (:grinning:) the vignette suggestion. I think it works quite well. I appreciate the input and welcome your feedback if you think it works better.

Yep, to my eye that helps the center foliage to stand out better. And i think it makes the interesting black stripes on the boulders stand out more too.

Fantastic Harley! I love this. Sure seems to me you had great success in seeking out these intimate compositions on this trip.

I’m gonna make a quick comparison to my last post and the valid feedback of wanting to be able to separate the bg granite from the trees - and I whole heartedly agree (accomplishing that is another matter…) I say that not because I think you need separation here - actually quite the opposite. One of the things most appealing to me is how the autumn foliage is somewhat camouflaged against the sandstone wall. I do like what separation there is with the tree/leaves sandwiched between the lighter toned rock up front and the textured wall in back.

This is such a great find - beautifully seen and captured. Love it. The vignette works beautifully as well - great job on the rework.

Great work Mr. H.!

Lon

Harley,
I am really liking the vignette you applied as it draws the viewer rather nicely into the scene. There are just so many amazing details, colors and shapes here to enjoy. Great eye to spot this.

The composition looks great with the leaves against that background but the tree is being overwhelmed and just doesn’t have the impact it should have. It actually has a subordinate role. For one thing the blacks are just dominating. If you crop from top and left to eliminate the blacks the image gets better. I tried to raise the blacks in the remainder of the image but they’ve been clipped on the histogram (which is hard to do with a D810).

Harley, I like the change to the second image. I think it tightens things up a bit. I might entertain a slight crop down from the top and a tiny bit in on the left too. Just to tighten it slightly more. But, as always it’s always subjective thoughts on any image. At least you have the core product to work with…:sunglasses:

I really like your repost Harley which places more focus on the delicate trees. My only minor nit is the bright, white spot on the rock face in the LRC. Beautiful capture overall.