Boulders and Big Wall

I was back out in Utah last week and had a nice wander through this canyon. The foreground rocks and some of the back were picking up nice bounced light, while much of the big wall was not. I left the blues in the varnish at the back wall, as I like the warm/cool look it presents.

D850, 70-200mm

3 Likes

Harley - Your image has a nice 3D appearance. It makes me feel like I am standing there. I also like the warm / cool contrasts.

I agree with @Eva_McDermott, that light really helps separate the foreground from the background and I like that affect. There’s a lot of tension in the lines, but in a good way, and the color contrast works well.

Wonderful detail you’ve captured, Harley. The close up detail in the rocks is mesmerizing. Lighting, and composition are spot on. Very nicely seen and executed.

That is one of the most amazing displays of desert varnish I have ever seen, not only in terms of color but shapes and texture too. I also like that you took this on an angle, it adds a lot more dimensionality to the image. My only suggestion would be to burn the bright patch bottom center, to better balance the tonality in the rock formation.

Wow, what great colors. This does have a good sense of depth.

Hi Harley, The overall contrast on the clarity of this image is very nice. Also, like all the interesting lines and the rocks atop the mini peaks. And, l agree the contrast between warm and cool colors is intriguing. Ben

Nice scene and a lot you can work with here. I would encourage you to use a polarizer in scenes and surfaces like this (not just with water). There is a lot of blue reflecting off the smooth rock surfaces, hiding the other colors there. I would also encourage you to learn about dodging and burning as well as luminosity masks. The foreground rocks have a lot of interesting shapes and colors and dimensionality that aren’t developed much (some are blown out a bit, others are lost in shadow). I think you’ll be amazed at what you can bring out with each revisit. I would love to see what you come up with.