Cara Cara with Meal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Had some fun a t a Created Cara Cara nest last year. This Cara Cara brought in a couple of chicks of some kind from another nest for its young. Best viewed large.

Technical Details

Sony A1
200-600mm
1.4 TC
shout at 840mm
1/4000 at f/9
ISO 1600

1 Like

Gorgeous!! A great scene with perfect timing for the “pose” of the incoming bird and the alert baby. I love the composition and sharpness, with wonderful DOF. Color and tonalities feel just right. Only tiny nit is I could wish for more a bit more tonal separation of the head and wing and to have the eye brought out a bit more. But those are small things for a wonderful capture.

Excellent, Kurt. Interesting that the prey is a chick. when I looked at it, I thought road kill, which would be pretty common for this species. With that depth of field at f/9, I’m guessing you had to crop this a fair bit? A beautiful incoming pose and you chose the perfect angle for the Saguaro and nest.

Hi Kurt, excellent behavioral capture! Love the adult’s incoming pose with prey and the view of the waiting chick is just right. The cactus is a unique view for me which adds to the impact. Nice DOF. Well done.

Hi Kurt,

Comp is wonderful and like the saguaro that closes off the frame on the RH side. No nits from me…Jim

Great composition, really tells a story. Excellent detail throughout and nice landing pose. Congrats on well deserved EP.

Wonderful image, Kurt! Having the nest with the baby waiting really tells the story.

Fantastic behavioral image, I didn’t know what to expect when clicking the thumbnail, but this is great ! Well-deserved EP as well, congrats ! Cheers, Hans

In a prior life, before my issues with my hearing dramatically increased the challenge, I was an avid birder primarily in southern Arizona and Sonora. I have great memories of these guys, and your image brings back a lot of them. Wonderful image; congrats on the EP!