Yellow-headed Caracara

Another from Costa Rica in April. There were several of these along the Tarcoles river, including some juveniles that I might post later.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m ambivalent about the crop in this one. It’s wider than I’d normally make it for this pose, but I didn’t want to bring the corner into the log. Any suggestions?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount from a boat, f/9, 1/2500, iso 3200 (higher than needed). Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4368 x 5070. Taken April 27th at 7:04 AM.

2 Likes

I really like the colors in this one. This particular composition works pretty well with that background but he could also crop off some of the top and turn it into a horizontal crop. Just another idea. The detail on this is superb. Yes, the Tarcoles River was a place where I could’ve spent several days.

Dennis, he looks so regal the way he is perched on that log and posing for you. I’m not familiar with this bird, but you sure captured a very nice image of him. This belongs on a wall!

Gorgeous subject, light, perch and BG! My first though was to crop top and right. I’d at least crop from the top. The branch could be burned toward the bottom to help keep the eye in the frame. There is some very nice subtle detail in the BG on the right and I’d hate to crop into it. A darker gradient from the right is a possibility. If there is any more canvas bottom and left, I’d include more there. Couldn’t resist playing. (Alternative was housework…)

Great pose and look at the Caracara. Great perch with the curved branch coming up along side the Caracara. All against a nice background. Regarding the crop, my first thought was the same as Diane’s: the bird seems more prominent and the trunk does form a nice leading line. Nothing wrong with breaking the “rules” once in a while.

Hi Dennis
Thank you for the Yellow-headed Caracara, this is my first viewing of one. The green background helps to show off the Caracara’s coloring. Love the head turn.
Peter

Very nice image of this bird. About the crop I tend to agree with the others, either a bit tighter or adding some canvas could do the trick. That said, the bird’s pose is almost regal, and the BG makes in stand out very well. All in all a very nice image! Cheers, Hans