Collared Aracari

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

More from that rainy 19th of February. I love the kind of wedge shape of this species that makes them look very “buff” and the fluffed head feathers of this one in the rain really appealed to me.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about the light colored patch on the perch.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 413 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/400, iso 1600, manual exposure. Preprocessing with DxO PureRaw 4, processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal original to 4309x5746 (3x4 ratio).

2 Likes

Well, haven’t seen this one at my feeder lately :laughing:. This is a great portrait of this guy Dennis and it looks like you didn’t have to worry about the sun spoiling the light. Nicely framed with room for that huge beak and plenty of detail in the feathers; can even see some water droplets. Looks like he could crack a lobster tail with that beak! I’m guessing that’s some kind of native flower on the perch and adds some interest to the whole scene, but he’s colorfull enough as it is.

That perch is sure working nicely for you, Dennis. What a gorgeous bird to go along with that colorful perch. There are a couple of bright spots on the perch but easy enough to take care of if you are so inclined. The fluffed head feathers really add to the beauty of this bird. You had one heck of a trip. Congratulations!!!

Great image Dennis. The bird is brilliant and the whole scene is enhanced with the rain coming down. The bright spot on the perch could go but is not that big of a deal to me. Well done.

You did have wonderful opportunities and took advantage of them all during your trip. Lighting is good and rain drops add a feature to the image as well. The epiphytes on the perch provide a unique aspect to rainforest bird photography. Awesome shot…Jim

What an amazing bird Dennis! It looks like it’s straight out of a Disney fantasy. Brilliantly shot, the rain drops just adds to it. :clap:

What an amazing bird! He looks a bit top-heavy but undoubtedly manages it. Excellent detail and color, and a regal pose. The perch is a miniature garden that conveys a jungle setting and the gentle rain is a very nice touch!

This is such a fantastic bird Dennis. Dittos to what’s already been said. What a fun image!

Outstanding capture with some amazing details and colors !
I may darken the light green leaves under the beak.