Cardinal and Snow Showers

Taken from photographers tent set up at 15 feet from feeding station.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r and 100x400x1.4 lens with tripod, 1/230 sec., iso 1000, f-8.

elwise44

Hi John. Glad you’ve been able to enjoy the snow from what sounds like a relatively comfortable setup! Love the snow, and I like the thin, twirling perch. Exposure looks good. But it looks like the head is either slightly off the plane of focus or there was a bit motion blur. Also, in a perfect world, there’d be a little more separation between the bird’s head and the perch.

A nice, classic shot of a cardinal in the snow. Good detail in the cardinal and the falling snow is a nice bonus. I like the perch. Is there more perch to the left? I could see a more horizontal image, cropping off the top and adding to the left to de-center the cardinal.

Re-Post to address birds head to perch separation and convert to a more horizontal image, all very good suggestions.

1 Like

Hi John
Lovely winter Cardinal. The head softness could a result of the slow shutter speed. I like the breathing room of the second posting. Nice work.
Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for commenting. I held off on Topaz DeNoise to prevent loosing the snow effect, that may have left some softness in the head area.
Wayne

The photo looks really nice John. It could be a Christmas card for next year or a greeting card. I do like the repost. And I don’t like to bug you, I think the bird could be a bit more right in the frame and that bright snow flake in top right could be taken out. It is a well done.

Very good, Wayne. A lovely Cardinal image. I always like it on those rare occasions when we get some snow to shoot in-it makes for very interesting light and you took good advantage of it.