Cardinal on Raindeer Lichen Moss

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5dMkIII, at f8, 1/400sec., and iso 3200. Used Canon 100x400x1.4 lens and tripod. Shot from tent set up near feeders. Topaz noise reduction .

elwise44
1 Like

Very nice, Wayne. Excellent pose and head turn with very good detail and lighting. You might consider cropping up from the bottom to remove the out of focus green on the lower right.

As an aside, I just looked and do see that they’re selling Reindeer Lichen at craft stores. I don’t know if they’re cultivating it or not, but if they’re wild harvesting, it’s not very sustainable as it’s a slow grower.

Thanks Dennis, The reindeer moss can be bought for planting but it grows in many areas here in Maryland. I believe it requires partial sun to grow.
Wayne

Very pretty bird and setting. The female cardinal is an underappreciated bird! She is nice and sharp, and I like the background. My only two suggestions are to burn that darker green moss in the left lower corner, and I’d clone out that white-ish berry in the background. Impressively low noise at that ISO.

Also, I didn’t know you’re in Maryland. I am just down the road in DC.

Repost to remove dark area and clone in berry as suggested by Lyle.

A very pretty bird. Nice perch, nice pose and a little head turn. A small thing I might do is crop up a bit from bottom to remove the bit of green moss. Very well done.

Crop off the bottom is all this one needs. I like the pose and color scheme of this photo…Jim

Repost to crop from bottom, thanks Jim, it looks better.
Wayne