Carolina Chickadee + Repost

I have been waiting (impatiently) for the migratory birds to start arriving to see if my new bird setup is attractive to them. I haven’t seen any yet, but couldn’t resist the pose this little guy gave me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom, f/5.6, 1/180 sec., ISO 800 @ 200mm. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and sharpness. Topaz De-noise applied. Removed a couple of small, distracting branches on the left side of the frame.

2 Likes

Superb look at this Carolina Chickadee. Good detail and pose. I might decrease the blue saturation a tad to remove a faint color cast on the white body plumage.

Thanks, David. Is this better?

Very nice, Terry. Your setup is looking good. Detail in the Chickadee is excellent. I am seeing a fair amount of noise in the bird, but not really objectionable. Your repost got rid of the blue cast to my eye. Good work.

Thanks, Dennis. I think when I messed around with the color adjustment I might have introduced some noise. I probably should have run it through Topaz, gain.

Yes, I find it much better!

We have Black Capped and Chestnut Backed Chickadee here in the Pacific Northwest but the Carolina looks more like the Mountain Chickadee I just saw in Southern California. The white plumage on all Chickadees with which I am familiar is really white.

The Carolina’s white can be very white, but many of them lean toward a sort of dirty white, or grayish white with some buffy brown on his sides. Their faces are usually the purest, brightest white. I took this photo in low light, as well so that affected it a bit, I’m sure.