Carolina Chickadee

A common bird in these parts, but fun to practice photographing as they rarely sit still for any length of time.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/11, 1/125 sec., ISO 1000, Hand Held. Processed and cropped in DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure, color, and sharpness.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Sharpness is really nice, and I like the dark portion of the BG. The leaf intersecting with the bird isn’t ideal, especially given how in focus the leaf is. The light also looks fairly harsh, and you have a blown pixel on the bird’s chest. Did you happen to capture any with the chickadee facing the other direction? Tech-wise, I wouldn’t have been anywhere near f/11. I doubt you gained much in DOF, and it resulted in you using a really low SS and and higher ISO.

Good points from Lyle. A nice specimen, but the bright light is a challenge. The times I have experimented with DPP I have found it doesn’t have nearly the capability of other raw converters to bring out detail (soften contrast) in highlights and shadows. I think PSE must have some Highlight and Shadow adjustments and I would compare it for raw conversion instead of DPP.

@Lyle_Gruby and @Diane_Miller, thanks for your comments. This is the only photo of the bird I was able to get this day. @Diane_Miller I have tried the PSE raw converter before and it seems to do a good job. I’ll re-edit this photo there and see what it does.