Carvings

Specific Feedback Requested

How is the overall composition and processing? Is it abstract enough or do you think there could be a better way to not reveal what it is so quickly by altering the image a bit?

Technical Details

Hi Matt – Since your description of the photo opened up the option of altering the photo, I am suggesting an alternative interpretation that helps emphasize some of the abstract qualities of the scene.

First, I really like the jagged mix of shadows and light. In thinking about what I might do with the photo, I focused on how I might emphasize those parts of the frame because I think they are the most interesting elements. For me, the curvy bits of foam on the left edge distract from the more angular elements in the rest of the scene. So, my first thought was to crop those out. Next, I wondered if a different orientation might emphasize those angular elements more, so I flipped the photo a few times and settled on a different presentation. I also cloned out a few elements of the scene that I thought were a bit distracting (mostly bright spots along what is now the lower edge of the frame, along with maybe a shell or a rock). I also thought a bump in saturation could add another layer of visual appeal and complexity.

If my goal was abstraction and I was starting with a file like you shared, I would go through these steps to remove some of the visual touch points a viewer might have to emphasize the abstract qualities. It is a departure from reality but also fun in terms of experimentation. How do these changes resonate with you?

3 Likes

@Sarah_Marino, I dig it. Thanks for the review and thoughts!