Cascade, Glacier NP

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Moving water shooters, Glacier NP is your ultimate destination. Visiting a few years back, we were told that Going to the Sun Road was still closed. Then on our last day, they opened it and we drove through a vast, melting ice cream sundae. I have a lot of delightful cascade photos in my file, as there were literally dozens of them right along the road, but this is the only one where I thought to pull back and show some context. Also, bring your 14MM. You can literally get on top of these cascades!

Specific Feedback

The challenge here, to me, is contrast and editing for a better mix of tones. I used the “dehaze” filter, which has the benefit of correcting overexposed whites in the water but the downside of darkening the image over all. Contrast slider is hazardous, blowing out the whites with even slight application. I’m kind of addicted to dehaze. Maybe use a polarizer in the future to get a correct exposure on the whitewater?

Technical Details

Broken sky (so, a lot of cloud shadows), Olympus EM1 Mark II, 24MM, F13, 1/10th second, ISO 250. Stabilized on a boulder.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical: