Cascades at Crabtree Falls

This is a small section of cascades between drops of Crabtree Falls in Virginia off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had never been to this particular waterfall and it had rained the night before so my wife and I decided to check it out. It is a lovely waterfall and I will be sure to head back next spring. I decided to go with B&W because this looked like it had the potential for some beautiful tones.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 100 mm, f 20 @ 0.4 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Ed,
I’ve been to Crabtree a few times. I shot there last November. I have a large print of the middle section above my fireplace. You may want to revisit this fall if you can. Once the leaves fall on the ground, they add nice detail and color. These falls change every time I go there. Different times of year and water levels constantly change it up.

I like this in B&W. Some of the highlights are a little hot IMO but not much. There’s a stick breaking the right side of the image. It’s not a huge deal but perhaps clone it if possible. You did a great job keeping the edges clean. Eastern waterfalls are tough to shoot.

Beautiful section of falls and beautiful image of it. I would agree with Bradley about the stick on the right, but it is not a deal killer at all. The processing looks great to my eye. A quite enjoyable image.

Lovely water flows in there Ed, nicely isolated and the BW works very well. I do think a vignette would be worth playing with here to focus the eye on the central cascades; something like this: (I also slightly toned the water; your preferences may run otherwise.)

Ed,

Beautiful b&w rendition here. Excellent contrast and tonal range. The composition is excellent as well and I really like how you’ve isolated this one section.

I would echo the thoughts on the stick on the right - and also echo that it’s certainly not a deal breaker.

No nits or suggestions. Beautifully captured and processed.

Lon

This ia a gorgeous series of cascades with lots of variation in direction of flow that support the main cascades. The tones look very nice here with good range and separation. I also vote for cloning the stick on the right. I like the tones in the OP, especially in the fern and the boulders on the left. Nicely done!
-P

This is wonderful, Ed. Nicely composed and B&W treatment works great. I like the subtle changes in John’s rework.

Wow. The composition is gorgeous. My minor nit is just that the brighter rocks on the left side is pulling the eyes out of the image. Instead of a vignette, I think a gradient burn from the UL corner would work, too. Other than that, I think this is beautifully processed, Ed. Thanks for sharing!

Great eye to focus in and pick out this nice composition from the larger falls. I love how the water flows through the image with all the little cascades. B&W treatment also works well.
:vulcan_salute:

Beautiful b/w waterfall image, Ed. I agree that the log on the right edge does draw the eye there. It may be because the edges are so clean, that the log is exaggerated. I think I would crop from the right to just inside that log. It eliminates any issue on a wonderful image.