Cascading Convergence

Captured this shot on Mt Hood this week. This was taken at 100mm at 1/4s. The water was moving very fast so had to experiment at different shutter speeds. The sun lit up the waterfall part way into the shoot and I chose an image with light vs others fully shaded. I liked the high contrast look. Went for a darker, high contrast look in post. Converted to B&W although color version has little saturation in it.

Specific Feedback Requested

I appreciate feedback whether the compensation works. Also, high contrast vs the more traditional muted tones from waterfall shots.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-400mm lens, ISO 125, f22, 1/4s, 100mm, no filters

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Bob. I think this is a successful image because it’s one of those images that works at two levels. On one it’s cascade and on others it suggests other things (buildings, lights, etc). I think this is due to the b&w conversion. The first issue is a personal one. Dark images just don’t stand out on a dark background. So I provide my own in the form of a frame. The second is that I would change the composition slightly to further the notion that this may or may not be a water cascade.

1 Like

Thank you Igor. It does look much better with the lighter frame. Good advice. I am interested in how you would change the composition to provide a more utilitarian appearance?

By concentrating on the ‘buildings’ as I have tried to do. I also felt the ulc, it’s darkness, was making the image slightly unbalanced. I felt the ribbon of whitewater was the point of focus and brought it closer to center and made it’s curve more dominant in the frame and a more import part of the composition. It’s just my opinion and may differ from yours.

I see it now! The balance and flow makes the photograph much better. Thank you for taking your time for this valuable advice.

Bob, welcome to NPN, this is an excellent first post !! I look forward to seeing more of your work here. This is a perfect subject for B&W, I think it adds a mysterious feel to the image. And your choice of shutter speed was great, you maintained some texture in the water. I like both the crop and framing suggestions by @Igor_Doncov. In your original presentation there was not much water flow at the top. Another advantage of Igor’s crop is that it helps create the illusion of the cascading water continuing further beyond the top edge of the image.

If your intent was to go for a higher contrast look in post, I noticed that you still had some room on the right side of the histogram. My personal preference would be to make the highlights slightly brighter, taking advantage of the full tonal range. I think this would add a little energy to the image. I did another rework, starting with Igor’s version.

Thank you Ed. I tried your edit and it made the image better. Thank you for your support and advice. I learned a great deal on my first critique and found the experience supportive and valuable. Very glad to have joined NaturePhotographyNetwork and will be learning more on how to participate and take advantage of its many benefits. Appreciate your support.

I edited the image with the inputs from you and Igor. Hope it posts as I am new to the process.

2 Likes

Welcome to NPN Bob an a great first post. @Igor_Doncov pretty much fixed the issue that I had with the composition and I feel it’s significantly better now. Your shutter speed provides a sense of motions but there is still really beautiful texture in the water. I like the rework that @Ed_McGuirk did to add a little bit of contrast by dodging the whites to make them pop a little bit more. With the new crop and the rework you did Bob, this good image has been turned into a great image!

Welcome aboard and really outstanding first post. I like what Igor then Ed did with it. It is a beauty.

Thank you David and Harley. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to many future interactions.

Welcome Bob. I have learned. I am always a sucker for a b/w in general and this image works well to my eye. THe last rework here gets my vote. Also, in a way it looks like a group of lost soals.

Thanks Mario. Look forward to communicating with you. Appreciate your support

Welcome to NPN! Your reworked image looks great Bob. B&W was a good choice for this image.