Cascades

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was visiting a small local waterfall, Papermill Falls, in Avon, NY. This falls is all of 12 feet high and at the top is a graffiti filled bridge. On this day I was looking to isolate small areas of the falls. This scene emerged after walking down stream a bit. It brought the water in from the top and the side to merge into the water exiting to the left.

Technical Details

Pentax K-3 Mark III
F 6.3
30 sec.
ISO 100
70mm

3 Likes

Very pleasing image. I usually don’t like such long exposures, but this works quite well!

For me the central interest and the primary focus is that dark rock that comes out of the left and faces the right. It’s just different than the rest of the image and draws attention. I find the blurry stuff at the bottom detracts our vision and interest from that rock. I would crop from the bottom to leave a square composition of all of the top. The repeating cascades are like a wonderful ‘chorus’ for the central drame of rock.

Thank you, I like working best around 1/5 sec, but this on this one the longer looked better to me.

Igor thanks and I do see how a square crop can work.

Welcome back to NPN. I’m with Igor on the crop suggestion - for me all of the interest in this photo centers at the top with the patterns and contrast. I like the arrangement of the lines as well as the shutter speed which helps reinforce the texture contrast with that center rock. If you decide to crop and repost, I’d also think about ways to reduce the effect of the big rock on the right so the center one has more presence.

Welcome back to NPN Scott. This is a lovely intimate B&W scene with a nice range of tones. This works for me as presented, but I can also see a little crop from the bottom as it looks just a little empty. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I am thinking. Just my opinion of course

Hi Scott,

Congratulation on the Editor’s Pick. I love the cascade, it has so many small falls its just a joy to wander through the frame. And, just like the others have mentioned, the blurry water in the foreground detracts from the overall feel of the image, but I am not sure how to remedy it without detracting from the rest of the scene.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback and honored by your selection