Portal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Waterfalls are one of my favorite subjects.
I took this photo at the north of Israel right after a decent rain.
I really like the framing and the combination of the red leaves at the bottom along with the green leaves at the top

Technical Details

It’s a combination of 1 shot for the forest at: ISO 64, 1/100, f/14
and 2 shots for the water at: ISO 64, 3 stops ND filter, 1/2, f/14.

I love the flowing water and I think you did a good job of capturing it, but the composition pulls my eye off the left side of the image. You might do some burning there, but I think I see a natural crop that could mitigate the problem. I also reduced the reds a little – they might be true for the soils there, but they seem a bit strong for being in the shade. Just a couple of quick ideas…

Waterfalls are some of my favorites, too! This one looks amazing. I like how you’ve handled the light and the silky water, too. The light looked a bit difficult, but with shade you pulled it off.

I am puzzled about the heavy branches you used to frame it. Combined with the large section of bank to the right, it feels confused and a bit overwhelming. As if the waterfall didn’t need to be there at all. Can you talk about why you chose to do this? Waterfalls are inherently messy and sometimes dangerous and so this may have been an only option, but I hope not since I’d like to explore this more. A lovely spot.

Thanks for your feedback. reducing the reds looks interesting and maybe more natural.
About the crop, I’m not sure it’s a good idea since it leaves some branches cut.

Aharon,

Welcome to NPN and the Landscape Gallery!

This is quite a unique perspective, and framing of these cascades. Initially comes across as somewhat chaotic, but then quickly see and understand the thoughtful framing you’ve done; the heavy branches, the roots and eroding reddish bank and then the vibrant greens all solidly framing the elegant cascades.
Honestly, I quite like this as presented. As we often say - order from chaos.

The only minor nit for me is the presence of the highlighted, straight log on the far side of the cascades just off center. You might consider selectively burning that, or depending on your willingness, some sort of cloning, masking to mitigate the bright line in the background. Not an image killer per se, just my observation.

Welcome!

Lon

1 Like

The thing that caught my eye, was this angle which is a bit different from how waterfalls are usually shot (like you wrote). I really liked the framing of the branches and the almost symmetrical division between the green and the red leaves.
I took another shot that day from the rocks in the waterfall, which is a more typical shot.

Thanks Lon. About the log on the far side, I get what you mean. that should work better.

Aharon,

I don’t know. As others have mentioned, the photograph is quite chaotic for me. Too many branches at the top and some impinge on the flowing water and disrupt the whole waterfall. I also tend to agree with Diane on the color saturation.