Intimate look at the kings of the creek

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a humid morning in June and I practically had to run to this spot in order to get to a later meet up in time. I was rushed but I found a moment to take in what the waterfall had to offer. I sat there for a few moments and found where all of the water flowed to to be the most interesting. As I grabbed my filters my excitement started to peak! Upon first capture I did a little dance to celebrate what I knew would be a fun capture/composition. I adjusted the camera to adjust where the logs were placed as they where the only thing that bothered my eye to some extent.

Specific Feedback

Composition, processing, and execution

Technical Details

Iso 50
F16
Ss: 1.3 sec
Haida CPL
Canon r5
Rf 70-200 f4 @ 116mm
5 shot focus stack, just for security sake
*corrected Meta data

Wow, Joseph! What a beautiful waterfall! It has the same “feel” as my favorite waterfall (Estatoe Falls) here in the Southern Appalachians. I’d love to know where this is located.

Your shutter speed really did handle the water flow beautifully. I like how it varies, with more texture above, and a smoother yet textured treatment elsewhere. I always struggle with fallen logs, etc. Yes, it would be ideal if they weren’t there but, honestly, they’re part of the story, and that’s what needs to be considered. The story — and to me, it’s about the environment in which the waterfall lives. :slightly_smiling_face: It gives us more information about that.

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Simply gorgeous!! I love the complexity of the long vertical lines leading to tumult at the bottom. The toning is a very nice color for a waterscape. I don’t mind the fallen logs, and the drooping moss (or whatever) acts as a grace note, repeating the falling water. Wonderfully seen and executed!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Susanna! I really appreciate that! Its called Kings Creek falls at the corner of SC and GA . A beautiful spot and I’ve been twice so far, no one else was there. But it is a popular spot, I think I may have just gotten lucky.

I really like what you said about the story and honestly if I’m to critique myself. Something I used to do is get the wides mediums and tights at waterfalls when I first started photography. I’ve fallen in love with the detail shots of recent, and need to think of this more in the field.

Thank you so much Diane! I really appreciate that. The moss really does make it pop with the logs.

Joseph, that is so cool! I’m in Asheville, very close to that area. I’ll plan to get down there! Can hardly wait! PS I find that I start wide and narrow down to detail. This waterfall looks perfect for that!

| Joseph E Prater wizsnapsalot
October 9 |

• | - |

Thank you so much Susanna! I really appreciate that! Its called Kings Creek falls at the corner of SC and GA . A beautiful spot and I’ve been twice so far, no one else was there. But it is a popular spot, I think I may have just gotten lucky.

I really like what you said about the story and honestly if I’m to critique myself. Something I used to do is get the wides mediums and tights at waterfalls when I first started photography. I’ve fallen in love with the detail shots of recent, and need to think of this more in the field.

Joseph, you have caught in the fly an excellent vision starting in the hight with threads of water and ending in tumultous waterways. For me the logs and their positions add to the photo dynamism end creativity for a different image of falls. No tips because for me the photo is perfect as it is.

2 Likes

Hey Joseph, really enjoying this one! I to, love to shoot the intimate details of a waterfall. It is a way to distinguish my images from a traditional cell phone snap shot. Shutter speed is always personal taste. I tend to shoot with a bit shorter shutter speed, but I don’t mind the long expsure look of this one. My only suggestion would be to see what it looks like with the shadows brought up a bit. It feels very heavy on the left side of the image due to the dark spot. I’m wondering how lifting that may make it more cohesive with the rest of the image.

Overall, really ejoyable image!

2 Likes

Brilliant image! Well seen and executed. Agree with all the comments above, and would be curious to see the shadows lifted just a tad. Well done!

1 Like

I echo what others have said already. The strong luminosity contrast contributes to making this a compelling image. Well done.

1 Like

What a fine shot! The logs don’t bother me. I think they add something.

1 Like

I’ve looked at this image several times now. I like the monochromatic look of it. There is also that sense of mystery that many good images have. That’s likely due to the darkness. The reason for the many looks is the composition. It feels like there are several images in here, the bottom and top, with bottom pulling you down. One suggestion would be a crop from that bottom that includes all of the highest log. But then you lose the great stuff below.

1 Like

thank you so much I really appreciate your kind words!

I’ll try that in light room! I really did toy with my 70-200 while at the falls. I did do what you were suggesting in camera but for some reason it didn’t feel completed with out the flow at the top. Thank you for all of your input I truly appreciate it!

Much appreciated good sire!

Thank you so much Dean!

I will give a go in the good ol’ lightroom! thank you so much for your input!

Thank you David! I have been enjoying the shorter exposures myself of late! the textures really shine when its shorter. the super long exposures that I use to do, like 30 sec. now all look like milky mess now. Thank you for your input good sire!

This is just dripping with Intrigue (no pun intended). You’ve treated this almost as a black and white but with just a smidgen of blue cast which I just love. It’s deep and mysterious due to the overall darkness of the image. I find that left hand side of the image is a bit heavier than the right side because of the dark wall on that side but it doesn’t upset the balance enough to be considered off balance. I actually love the logs. There is a sense of power and thrashing that I see with this image and those logs give the waterfall not only a sense of scale but a sense of the power that it’s creating. The icing on the cake is the little bit of lichen/moss hanging off the logs. I generally like a little bit more texture in my water (something closer to a half second or so) but I’m really enjoying the flow you have with your shutter speed on this image. Nicely done.

1 Like