Intimate Cascade

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been getting comfortable with some new camera gear…no more medium format for me…I went with the Fujifilm X-HS crop cameras…much lighter and still 40 MPX. I went to the Columbia River Gorge this morning for a try at some scenics. This is an intimate view of Bridal Veil Stream.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

I started shooting at ISO 125, but that meant shutter speeds of 1 to 2 seconds. I wanted some detail in the water so moved up to ISO 400.

I have become jaded about shooting moving water and waterfalls. There are so many here in the Pacific NW that I just can’t photograph the iconic ones anymore. This little scene, however, seems to work for me…

Technical Details

124mm, 0.7 sec @ f/11, ISO 400.

3 Likes

Everything works really well here except that front left rock - it just has a dominating presence that doesn’t work for me - otherwise, great capture man!

Hi David!

This is awesome! The course texture is great and the way all the sections intertwine with each other almost like a basket weave pattern is dramatic, it shows motion and power from top to bottom!

The B&W processing is perfect and again, it has a course feel which in my opinion adds to the sense of strength and power.

Well done and I hope you are enjoying your time out in nature! :slight_smile:

Awesome image, David!

David, this is a beautiful photo. It has captured my desire to be there, watching the water tumble over the rocks. The B&W adds to the drama. The silky water and rough texture of the rocks play off each other. Speaking of rocks., I think the two at the bottom need some help if they plan on staying in the picture. See what you think. I cropped as much as I could off the bottom. I then used content-aware fill for the two of them and decreased the opacity of the fills to soften their impact. Then I dodged the cascading water in the middle of the picture to help lead the eye from the rock to the bottom right up through the picture. Finally, I used TK8 to draw a freehand vignette and finished with a freehand-drawn spotlight to further focus the eye. Thanks for sharing this truly wonderful picture.

1 Like

David, I like your b&w interpretation of the image, but wonder how it looks in color. You might have some interesting gradations of color in the water that might be lost in b&w? What do you think? I agee with @Matt_Payne and @Barbara_Djordjevic about the foreground rocks. I’m tagging on an image of mine as an illustration about the water color. Nice image.

1 Like