Intimate Waterfall

This was in Vermont recently - Glen Moss Falls - nice thing is that it can photographed from the road itself, but one has to be careful with traffic, there is an easy path to the base of the fall itself too

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I would like someone else’s take on this intimate waterfall

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/3 sec - an attempt to get both, texture and silkiness to the waterfall

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I like the close up, abstract quality of the composition. It might be worth experimenting with the midtones to increase their contrast and my add texture to the water and also to make it less gray in the process.

Thanks Tony. I just bought your TK7 with the videos and as you know, a steep learning curve. For now I may try increasing mid-tone contrast in LR or Luminar

It took me a little while to figure out what was going on. The texture in the rocks, in the dark areas, looks like water drops frozen in motion, while the motion in the waterfall isn’t frozen. Made me think it was a blend of images with different shutter speeds.

Your shutter speed is good for motion without killing detail. Composition is pretty good, but I’d crop this one in half, keeping the bottom half.

An image like this should take 1 minute to edit in LR.

I like the stair-stepping in the cascade layers. Your shutter speed balances just the right amount of blur and texture for this kind of image. I could see adding a bit more contrast to enhance the shadows and create a touch more tonal separation, but you don’t want to over do it.