Waterfall in Black & White

Living 30 minutes from the Columbia River Gorge for the last 35 years has meant that I’ve spent hours/days/weeks out there photographing the beautiful waterfalls. However, I got burned out on waterfall photography and for the last 10 years have rarely ventured out there.

Well, there have been several really excellent black and white waterfall and river/stream shots in the Landscape category, so this morning I went out to see what I could find. I took only one lens (100-200mm) and planned that I would focus on intimates with plans to convert to B&W in post.

This is a small portion of 224 ft. Latourell Falls, pouring over tall pillars of basalt. I wanted to show the power of the water as it hits the bottom. We’ve had so much rain this spring that there was a powerful fall on display.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated. Does the shutter speed convey the power of the water?

Technical Details

100mm, 1/15sec @ f/8, ISO 500, Tripod, Polarizer, Lens cloth for the water drops.

3 Likes

What a coincidence David, I was there around 2 months ago doing essentially the same thing! I’ve lost some interest in the big waterfall scenes as well (writing that, of course, just after posting a waterfall “icon” image for the weekly challenge). Looks like our setups were similar too, but I was so mesmerized by the basalt columns I don’t know if I even managed to get an image of the crashing water at the bottom. I really like this intimate scene and the use of b/w processing. As far as shutter speed, I think it’s really a matter of preference. I tend to like a little more structure in the falling water, but the smoothness of the water over the rocks and in the mist looks great here, and can get lost with a faster shutter.

Makes me wish I was back there right now!

Thanks Jack. I appreciate the comments. Yes, I think intimate scenes of water/waterfalls will be a thing for me for a while now. I like the intimacy and the bit of abstraction. And, I got into photography with B&W in high school so it’s always been a passion.

Best,
David

1 Like

David, the water pouring over the rock at the bottom is just wonderful. I agree with @Jack_Krohn , I would like to see a bit faster shutter speed on the waterfall itself to convey the power a bit more. However, by doing that, would it ruin that fabulous water flow over the rock? In my opinion, that rock is the star of the show, therefore, I think you captured everything perfectly. Great tones in the surrounding rock as well.

2 Likes

Hi David! I like this image a lot. These intimate scenes have become more appealing to me recently than the more iconic shots. I personally like your choice of shutter speed. To me it enhances the flows over the rock at the bottom. I suspect the concern other folks are mentioning are due to the larger than normal flow of water rather than the slower shutter speed.

@David_Mullin and @Steve_Kennedy thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

David, I played around with several shutter speeds and this one spoke to me best. As Steve said, there was a lot of water coming down. Normally this time of year it’s probably half that.

Steve, I too have become much more of an intimate photographer. My most used lens lately is the 100-200 (about 80-160 in 35mm terms). In fact I no longer have anything wider than 24mm… :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

@David_Bostock I just recently bought that GF100-200mm lens and I am loving it! It is a fantastic lens.

1 Like

I would like to see a faster shutter speed as well. Having been to these falls I can appreciate how hard it is to make a fresh image here. The dark rock at bottom right seems out of place in context to your main subject, like it’s pulling me away from the falls. Otherwise seems good. :slight_smile:

David,

Wonderful image! And a wise choice to process and present in b&w. Just the texture and graphic shapes and flow of this is a perfect fit for the monochrome approach.

I happen to really like the shutter speed, and here’s why. First, there is enough tonal variation the main cascade that it’s not just a ghostly blur - so there’s texture AND motion that I see as presented. Second, the chosen shutter speed has different results based on the “speed” of the water. ie. the falling water is much faster and so it blurs at the given ss. but the water at the bottom flowing out (important for comp) is slow enough that there’s more definition and the water didn’t just blur out. Hope that makes sense. So in the end, with 1 shutter speed (and not blending other exposures) you get 2 different effects or treatment of the water.

speaking of the water, I’m really loving the water hitting the rock on the left at the bottom. That’s the central focus and interaction for me.

Lastly, and what I also think is really cool is the perception due to no reference to scale! The very bottom of the image, including the dark, sandy along the bottom, the exiting water and the darker rock in the LRC - all that together, with no scale, make me think of an OCEANside cove; the water in the LR area is actually waves receeding on a beach. The dark rock LRC - a sea stack rock!

And after all that, I can only suggest a small crop since almost all the interest is towards the bottom. Nice textures and detail on the wall up top, but it’s not really adding anything to the story of this image. And from one of my old camera club judges back in the last century always used to say… “If it’s not adding to the image… it’s taking away…” I’ve always kept that in my mental tool box.

Very minor edit, a slight crop from the top and slight boost in contrast.

Wonderful cascade intimate!

I really love your choice of black and white for this David! I like the rocks getting hit by the falls . Almost look like little mountains shrouded in mist. It would be neat to zoom in just on that area. Really beautiful capture.

Thank you @Matt_Payne, @Lon_Overacker, and @Vanessa_Hill for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Matt, I appreciate your thoughts on shutter speed. It’s interesting how our tastes have evolved. In the olden days (and yes, I am old), we used to strive for a soft, pillowy, dreamy look to moving water. Today we seem to want to have more texture and stop action to the flow. I tried both ways and found the faster shutter resulted in a choppy, stuttery look, so went with this one.

I also understand about the rock in the lower right, but if I crop then I’ll lose the water flowing off the edge. I also think the right rock frames things with the left lower rock.

Lon, I considered cropping out the top basalt face of the cliff, but in the end left it there. I like what you did however so will crop the original too. And thanks for the boost in contrast, it brought a bit of life back.

Vanessa, thank you, I like that rock area too. I will take your advice and head back with a longer lens.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Yeah almost all of my water photos before 2019 are silky… haha! =)

1 Like