Waterfall rocks (b&w version added)

B&W version

Alternative image based on comments

Original posting

In September I have spent two weeks in the western part of Härjedalen, Sweden, one week of day hikes and one week participating in a photo workshop. I will post some images from these weeks: This is another waterfall image from the Livsätraån. I really liked the rocks, to emphasize them I made the BG a little bit blurred. I also liked the structure of the water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/9, 1/8 sec, ISO 64, Olympus lens 40-150 at 55 mm (110 mm equiv.), Olympus camera OM-D E-M1X

A great slice! The water cuts through so perfectly. I like the softened foliage. It fits with your idea of the scene and the emphasis on the rocks, hard to do really totally - I think you’d have to go to monochrome to reduce it from our attention. The shutter speed though…I think it’s a little too fast here since a more distinct contrast might play up the rocks and/or the foliage. Whenever I have a water element I always think about how it looks against it’s environment and choose from there - with a snowy surround I often go with faster to contrast against a smooth snow surface. If lots of foliage or ice, I often go with a longer shutter speed so the silky water contrasts with the texture of the ice or leaves. The exposure looks good here although I think you could raise the mid-tones a bit.

ETA I don’t see you had a filter to use here and it seems you cranked the ISO down as far as it would go, but maybe closing down the lens would have let you have a slower shutter speed. Just a thought.

@Kris_Smith thanks for your comments and sharing your insights regarding capturong water elements.

Attached at the top is an alternative image.

I think that works a little better - primarily it looks as though you brightened the water? It’s hard to tell. A really nice little scene.

I have other images with longer exposures, but the water rather quickly then become too contourless. Instead I used a copy of this image, and moved it a little compared to the original image, and then blended the water part of the images. I also made some adjustments regarding structure and softness.

A b&w rendition is posted at the top.