Castlerigg stone circle, English Lake District

Hi everyone, I’d love some critique on this image from Castlerigg stone circle at sunrise. I was just about to give up and go home when the light came good so I ran back to the circle but someone had taken my original composition. I quickly found this one, which to be honest I quite like. It isn’t the traditional image that you see of this well photographed site.

I’m particularly looking for post processing comments. I’m aware that there is some halo-ing around the stones which I’ll sort out later but I’m sure I can get some more drama and detail out of the sky. I just lack the processing know how atm!

Thanks in advance
Chris

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Chris, I like your comp. and how the big stone in the foreground leads in a swinging circle around the ring. The haloing on the distant stones is the result of using your clarity setting (in Adobe camera raw) or micro-contrast adjustment (in other software). You can get more contrast in the bright clouds by burning-in using mid-tone luminosity masks. That would let the sunbeams stand out more.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated

Chris, although the edges of the image are a bit tight here, they’re symmetrical keeping our eyes traveling the rock formation path or curve very nicely. A wonderful scene here…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Chris,

I’d say your processing is excellent and quite natural. I would think you could even boost the vibrance a bit if that’s your desire.

Paul points out the tightness and I agree and perhaps is more of a nitpick for me. With the rock being so large and dominant in the frame, I think it deserves more room. Even so, the eye gets led around the frame nicely to the great light and drama in the sky. I suppose you could bump the contrast and even saturation in the clouds, but again, that’s minor and a personal choice.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks Paul

Thanks Lon

I like your composition, the ‘flow’ of the stones leads the eye through the image. I also like the single stone peeking out above the distant mountains. You chose the right moment, for there is a beautiful glow on the big boulder. And yes it is a bit tight. You already got suggestions for PP. Like it.

1 Like

Thanks Igor