Sunrise at Castlerigg

Hi everyone, I’d love some feedback on this please.

This was taken last year but after taking a lot of inspiration recently from Enrico Fossati (and watching his tutorials) I thought I’d reprocess it in a moodier/darker way.

Many thanks
Chris

IG chris_mitchell_photog

Chris, this is a very striking image. I love the reverse S Curve of the stones, it does a great job of moving one’s eye through the scene. And there are a number of nice smaller touches here as well, such as the lichen on the rocks. I like your darker processing here, it makes for a wonderfully moody image. This image has a very powerful feeling.

I wish there was slightly more breathing room both to the left and right of the nearest rock, it feels a little tight to the frame edge. If your raw file does not have space to re-crop, then in PS I would add canvas left and right, and use Content Aware Fill (if your ethics are okay with that kind of thing). I would also dodge the nearest rock to add some luminosity in the area where the lichen is located, to bring it out a bit more.

I replied to your recent thread on your images coming out too saturated on the web. I think this image looks fine, but I downloaded it and it said that there was no color profile embedded. If you had converted it to sRGB color space, it should embed that profile and prevent your images from looking different on the web. So I do think your issues are related to posting images in a wide Color Space like Adobe RGB, instead of the sRGB space that you should use for web images.

1 Like

Thanks Ed I had similar feedback about the space last time I posted so I’ll do your suggested work around.

Thanks for your help with the colour, I think the issue is my phone. I’ve viewed it on a number of other devices and it looks fine. I unchecked the box regarding embedding the colour profile as I read something online that says you’re best off doing that… Stupid Internet! :joy:

Chris,

Excellent image. Wonderful near/far comp with the meandering, s-curve patterns of the stone leading the view through the scene. I also like the darker, moody presentation and I think you have a nice balance of light given the circumstance and time of day.

i would agree about wishing for more space on the sides, but not an image killer for me.

I’m no authority on color spaces as Ed recently pointed out for me on my own post, :roll_eyes: (Thanks again @Ed_McGuirk!!!) IMHO, I think it’s still valid posting on the web with the sRGB color profile simply to ensure the most consistent presentation across all platforms, monitors, browsers, etc. However, I also think it’s less of an issue today as it may have been 5, 10 years ago. Most browsers are color-aware now. I can’t say that about phones - I have no idea.

1 Like

This is a beautiful, powerful image. Great subject and great light! I agree about the tightness on the edges. That foreground boulder is pretty dominant. Only issue with color for me is that the lichens seem a little blue/cyan.

1 Like

@Chris_Mitchell. It is best to embed the sRGB color profile for images to be displayed on the Web.

If you have not given an image a color profile, the display app may not display the image accurately.

If you are using Save for Web in Photo Shop. Be sure to check the Convert to sRGB box before saving. See screen shot:

If you have already embedded sRGB, then check the Embed Color Profile box and then uncheck Convert to sRGB if it is checked.

I really like your image. Great lines and wonderful mood.
–P

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone. Much appreciated